Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal ip address, anonymous and private

embolism's Avatar Anti abuse COP!! BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    I have been looking at ways to make my IP address anonymous and private; have a few questions since I haven't found a easy way out.
    1. Do we have to conceal IP address when one is a member of higher level sites like FTN, Hdbits, etc. Isn't it difficult for anybody to track if you are a member in such sites.
    2 I would guess it is a good idea to hide ip while using lower level trackers. What is the best way. TOR VPN is very slow. Haven't tried tried other methods. Seedboxes cost money.
    3 need a wise advise. Do you hide your ip irrespective? Do private trackers allow that.
    Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    There is no way to hide your IP while using bittorrent. The most basic of interactions require an IP address to be sent from one to another.

if you really want to display a different IP that isn't your own though, you would have to use a seedbox/VPN as you said. Nothing else to do really.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    1. Do we have to conceal IP address when one is a member of higher level sites like FTN, Hdbits, etc. Isn't it difficult for anybody to track if you are a member in such sites.
    Well, I guess you're less likely to find anti-P2P organizations on those sites, due to the fact they're hard to get in.

2 I would guess it is a good idea to hide ip while using lower level trackers. What is the best way. TOR VPN is very slow. Haven't tried tried other methods. Seedboxes cost money.
    Tor isn't a VPN. And it's very slow because you're using the bandwidth of other users to tunnel your P2P traffic - don't.

What you can do is using a real VPN or "torrent proxy" service. Both of which cost money if you want something good. There are free ones out there, though, but they're either saturated or make you not connectable.

3 need a wise advise. Do you hide your ip irrespective? Do private trackers allow that.
    Most trackers don't allow almost any means of concealing your real IP - if they did, the lives of multiple account holders would be easier.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    The only completely anonymous option is to buy a vpn that doesn't save logs.

Which brings in another problem payment. In which I could only think that you could mail money via a fake return address and fake name.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-17-2010 at 06:11 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    You can't know whether they're really keeping logs or not, can you?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    You can't know whether they're really keeping logs or not, can you?
    Most major VPN's keep logs, but if you know where to look, you can find some that "claim" to not keep logs.

A logless VPN is WAY WAY overkill for Bittorrent trust me OP. The worst that can happen on your home connection is a nasty letter from your ISP.

Logless Vpn I would only use for major hacking, fruad, or some other seriously illegal shit.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-17-2010 at 06:22 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    TraLaLa's Avatar knowledge is power BT Rep: +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95BT Rep +95
    I have been looking at ways to make my IP address anonymous and private; have a few questions since I haven't found a easy way out.
    Thanks
    why do you want to hide your ip ? beside the obvious illegal thing

“The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.”

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    embolism's Avatar Anti abuse COP!! BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Bottom line: there is no absolute safe / cheap way?

I am hoping higher level private trackers probably is safe. Even if there was a way to maintain anonymous IP, private trackers would kick you out? for sure? All I need is for the IP to be anonymous during downloading a torrent.

Scenario: Using Utorrents - if you pick a particular torrent and start downloading - at the bottom window where there is information on IP addresses of PEERS - one can get specific information of a particular IP address. I would say - that is probably how one can get tracked for downloading a particular torrent. How can one change/alter that without being kicked out of the private tracker you are using?

(VM Player + Janus VM VPN + TOR was what I meant with TOR/ VPN).

It is all for the obvious illegal thing factor.
    Last edited by embolism; 01-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Bottom line: there is no absolute safe / cheap way?
    If you're desperate you can use a free VPN such as Hotspot Shield, UltraVPN or TheFreeVPN. But they will make you appear as not connectable and you'll share the IP with lots of other people - which isn't good if one of them has broken the tracker's rules in the past, or currently has an account there (you'll be seen as a double account).

I am hoping higher level private trackers probably is safe. Even if there was a way to maintain anonymous IP, private trackers would kick you out? for sure?
    Most are OK with paid VPN services. Of course, take five minutes to ask or tell the staff about what you're going to do.

Scenario: Using Utorrents - ... How can one change/alter that without being kicked out of the private tracker you are using?
    Using the ways already mentioned.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    WakeMeUp's Avatar Obey! BT Rep: +2
    Get a seedbox. Nowadays you don't need to spend hundreds of $ - there are many seedbox services which are both cheap and good. I think this is the best solution, as hiding your IP address isn't that good for connectibility within any tracker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast