Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What If You Don't Share Many Files

Would the RIAA fine you if your only sharing under 20 files?? Or are they just going after the high #'s?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    if you have a 1000 files its hardly a chance you will get caught if you update ur IP blocker and use the K-lite options

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Monkeee@17 October 2003 - 00:45
    if you have a 1000 files its hardly a chance you will get caught if you update ur IP blocker and use the K-lite options
    Sharing that many popular files at once also makes you the target of many simultaneous download attempts at once. It's pointless to do because you end up losing a lots of your bandwidth just responding with 'busy' messages.

That's the problem with being able to find and download from 1 million users -- 1 million users can find and TRY TO download from you!

So it's better to share a smaller number of files -- like around 50-500. And if you're sharing movies, even just 1 or 2 can be 'too many'!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Originally posted by Switeck+18 October 2003 - 06:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 18 October 2003 - 06:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Monkeee@17 October 2003 - 00:45
    Sharing that many popular files at once also makes you the target of many simultaneous download attempts at once. It&#39;s pointless to do because you end up losing a lots of your bandwidth just responding with &#39;busy&#39; messages.

That&#39;s the problem with being able to find and download from 1 million users -- 1 million users can find and TRY TO download from you&#33;

So it&#39;s better to share a smaller number of files -- like around 50-500. And if you&#39;re sharing movies, even just 1 or 2 can be &#39;too many&#39;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    yeah but the more you share the more kazaa grows.... you dont have to keep kazaa on 24/7 so it doesen&#39;t take all your bandwidth&#33;

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I don&#39;t know, I&#39;ve got near 20,000 (I coulda sworn it said 35,000 last night) and haven&#39;t noticed a problem with bandwidth. Admittly, a lot aren&#39;t really &#39;popular&#39; (a lot are comic scans, which are like 20+ images a comic) but I&#39;ve got a least a few thou that are mp3s or movies.

Unless maybe you&#39;ve set max uploads to a few hundred, that might not be good.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I dont think it matter I read that if you had 20 meg worth you they were trying to f*ck us over the ass

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Monkeee+18 October 2003 - 02:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Monkeee &#064; 18 October 2003 - 02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@18 October 2003 - 06:05
    That&#39;s the problem with being able to find and download from 1 million users -- 1 million users can find and TRY TO download from you&#33;
    yeah but the more you share the more kazaa grows.... you dont have to keep kazaa on 24/7 so it doesen&#39;t take all your bandwidth&#33; [/b][/quote]
    You don&#39;t seem to realize... if you share lots of popular/desireable files people WILL find you and then your ip WILL BE HAMMERED by download requests EVEN WHEN YOU&#39;RE NOT RUNNING KL++&#33; When you change your ip, it becomes someone else&#39;s problem -- maybe only your ISP&#39;s -- but they continue hammering&#33;

Let&#39;s say you&#39;re sharing 1,000 files. And you&#39;re getting about 1 download request per minute. That&#39;s only once every 16 2/3 hours per file -- and I&#39;m assuming popular/desireable files here, so that&#39;s actually a VERY LOW estimate&#33; Let&#39;s say they&#39;re all 5 MB MP3 music files, just to keep numbers simple -- and you have a 1 mbps cablemodem that can upload at 27 KB/sec (that&#39;s 256 kilobits/sec max upload bandwidth, of which only 27 KB/sec of that is useable as upload bandwidth.) But a 5 MB file takes 190 seconds to upload at 27 KB/sec, so for every download request you get it takes over 3 minutes to fill it. So you can upload about 19 MP3s in 1 hour. Too bad you&#39;ve gotten 60 download requests in that 1 hour&#33; That&#39;s 41 you DIDN&#39;T get done&#33; Maybe half of them gave up or got that file elsewhere, so it&#39;s only 20 extra uploads to do per hour -- but that&#39;s still twice as many as you can fill. So every hour, the number of new requests may well be increasing by 20. In one 24-hour period, that&#39;s 480 total you DIDN&#39;T fill and DIDN&#39;T get that file elsewhere. Your connection&#39;s not getting any faster and the new download requests keep coming in. Now, with the RE-requests occuring maybe 100 a minute, that&#39;s slowing your upload bandwidth for FILES from 27 KB/sec to only about 25 KB/sec -- so now each upload takes nearly 3 1/2 minutes minimum. And that means instead of there being 20 extra download requests per hour, now there&#39;s 21-22.

Before long, the numbers can grow to the point where KL++ won&#39;t run at a reasonable rate of speed at all. 100+ download requests a minute can take down even fast connections if they&#39;re on Win 9x/ME due to its 100-max-ip-connections-at-once limit. And 1,000+ download connections can potentially DDoS flood all but the fastest ones.

This will happen EVEN faster if you have browse host/listing of your files turned on, because people may be searching your files then trying to download most/all of them at once... so they REALLY hammer you by themselves&#33;

Btw, even disabling sharing WON&#39;T make these download requests go away -- they have your ip STORED in their DAT files, which at the very least will be retried when they restart Kazaa/KL++/Grokster/Imesh.

And continuing to share WILL just get MORE download requests BEYOND the ones you already CAN&#39;T fill.

And changing your ip address just makes it someone else&#39;s problem on your ISP -- if you do this often enough you might get the same ip address again, or worse yet the ip address of someone else using the same tactic.

Most of this normally doesn&#39;t occur if you&#39;re running a router, because your ip address as stored in other people&#39;s dat files is usually 192.168.x.x -- instead you have a potentially WORSE problem&#33; 192.168.x.x addresses in your OWN DAT files hammer your connection locally instead of trying to find them on the internet. I am a joint discoverer of this -- and we were BOTH called nuts by those who THOUGHT they knew more about networking. It was partially because of our discovery that KaNAT was made -- but that just makes those that use it vulnerable to the SAME problems non-firewalled users have.

Oh yeah, even a FIREWALL won&#39;t help much either. They&#39;ll still be hitting your ip, you just won&#39;t be replying back to them -- which means you won&#39;t be able to share at all while doing that with KL++ running. And your download bandwidth (but not upload bandwidth) will be used up by it even while NOT running KL++ but on the same ip. Changing your ip port is the SAME as firewalling everyone trying to download from you.

There *IS* a way to short-circuit this loop and escape, but I&#39;ll leave that for a later post... or you can do a search for it as I&#39;ve posted about this MANY times.

NOW do you understand what I mean by 1 million users can find you?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Damn, I&#39;m glad I only download and share anime. Because Japan has no real copyright laws and Asia honestly doesn&#39;t care about the whole "down with filesharing."

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I only get 4000+ upload request per hour, 100+ of them to 1214 and 80. And those ports have been closed for months now. Long live the Accelerator.

If a judge would force the RIAA to actualy download the file their trying to cash &#036; 150 000 for, this would be the best protection we could wish for.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Aimless6@18 October 2003 - 13:53
    I only get 4000+ upload request per hour, 100+ of them to 1214 and 80. And those ports have been closed for months now.
    Can you upload 4000+ uploads per hour and are you firewalled/behind a router?

Seems like an awfully huge backlog -- even worse than what I thoerized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast