Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharing An Internet Connection

Poster
    xp comes with internet sharing
    That's what I thought it's a lot easier if we (people) could see these machines ie with blue screen's messages hard where prob's etc. I get people phoning me with lots of questions and to tell them answers you have to try and see it in your head how it looks on the PC can be hard, sometimes I just go there its easier.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I got a similar situation. 2 computers, 1 running XP Pro, the other WIN98(too slow to use XP).
    The manuals that come with WINgate are confusing (to a fool like me ). Are there any, more simple manuals?...maybe with illistrations

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    OK if you have a Cable modem or adsl modem with only One network port, to share and internet connection this is what u have to do.

Get your self a network hub.

Connect a crossover cable from the modem to your uplink port on the hub.

Connect the other pc's into the hub with network cables,

On the PC with windows XP, run the sharing wizard and at the end it will ask to make a disk so make the disk.

Install the stuff on the disk on your non winxp machines.

It should work now

Thats how i am sharing my adsl but im not sure if cable modems are the same.

I hope this helped.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Open up the internet connections on both, goto properties and to the last, enable internet sharing.

next goto your lan connection, properties

Internet Protocol (TCP / IP)
    Properties

1st box: 192.168.0.1
    2nd: 255.255.255.0
    4th: 192.168.0.2

On the second computer

1st box: 192.168.0.2
    2nd: 255.255.255.0
    4th: 192.168.0.1

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Doh, I'm already lost . This is what I have. One cable-modem. 1 D-Link series DE-1200 12-port "10 Base T Hub". 3 Network cards (at first, I was trying to piggy-back the WIN98 machine off-of my XP machince....couldn't get it to work). 1 X-over cable (orange in colour, if it matters ). 2 network cables.

To NeatTairoski: Is what you are stating in regards to what AceCool, or something to do rather than the hub/x-over cable setup?

I'm not sure if this P.O.S. hub is...whatever ? configured properly. On the back there's 4-lan slots (IN/OUT for data and management. I plug the x-over cable into data in, right?). There's a unit I.D.with 6 flips-witches(on or off...don't know what, or why, it's there). On the front, there are 12 lan-ports, a diagnostic port (old atari joystick port...says beside it 9600, n, 8, 1...reminds me of commadore-commands ).

Bare with me please

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Ok, I've done this. Connected a x-over between the modem and hub (port 1). Hooked both computers into port 2&3 using network cables.

Computer one works perfectly (XP-machine)). The other...no dice(WIN 98 machine).

Tried using AceCool's suggestion, but I don't know where to put the "4th-line" on the WIN98 machine and using these setting on the XP-machine made my connection dissappear.

Anyone know of good sites for newbs?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Computer one works perfectly (XP-machine)). The other...no dice(WIN 98 machine).
    Can the XP machine see the 98 machine ?

On the 98 machine try running the "create new connection setup" and see if that works. I have never tried connectimg a windows 98 machine to my adsl and the hub.

See if this site helps you.

I think i have a laptop with windows 98 sitting in my cupboard, i will see if i can get it going on my adsl through a hub. If i can i will let you know how i did it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Doesnt XP run on NTFS and Win98 on Fat? if so they 98 box wouldnt be able to see the XP box would it?

My network is set up like this

From moden to a small 5 port hub

3 pcs to hub

Netbeui as the local protocol.

User account set up on each box.

ISPs connection software on all boxes using same username and pass.

The isp just allocates an IP to each box when i connect.

Never had a prob.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Doesnt XP run on NTFS and Win98 on Fat? if so they 98 box wouldnt be able to see the XP box would it?
    Windows 98 can see ntfs networked drives fine.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    try putting the 2 cards in the win xp machine and 1 card in the win98 machine, and put the crosover between the 2, and the modem in the 2nd on the xp machine. then use the internet connection sharing wizzard. there is no need for a hub with the 2 pcs, but for ease get a router, and either machine can go on independantly, and also for future machines, allowing more one the net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12