Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We Jsut A Bunch Of Theives?

*Grunt*
    I might at this time point out that the whole file sharing disscusion has been centred on CD prices and most points of view travel in favor of file sharing, but the CD thing is simply concealing the issue that the downloading of software, movies, music that is only available to buy and not free, from a peer to peer network is aquiring it without contributing towards it manufacture is stealing, when i say this it applies in the hear and now not the future, not acounting for lost profits or gained ones, or stollen goods and natural causes. But everytime something is downloaded the company has made an instant loss on the spot, it may repair the damage over time but for now it is still stealing.

2. File Sharing   -   #62
    Poster
    Originally posted by Neo 721@23 October 2003 - 15:00
    I might at this time point out that the whole file sharing disscusion has been centred on CD prices and most points of view travel in favor of file sharing, but the CD thing is simply concealing the issue that the downloading of software, movies, music that is only available to buy and not free, from a peer to peer network is aquiring it without contributing towards it manufacture is stealing, when i say this it applies in the hear and now not the future, not acounting for lost profits or gained ones, or stollen goods and natural causes. But everytime something is downloaded the company has made an instant loss on the spot, it may repair the damage over time but for now it is still stealing.
    So downloading a song of an unknown band that ISN'T played on the radio (locally, at least) is stealing?

I sure as HELL am not going to 'take a chance' on if a new band is any good by buying their CD to find out!

But on hearing a song or 2, I may be looking for WAYS to buy their CD/s and more!

3. File Sharing   -   #63
    *Grunt*
    That is true about the radio thing but does law actually probhibit such recordings from the radio and TV (if it is then blow me becuase why do they list codes for your VCR to imput to record a movie).

Edit: This is called video plus btw and and is in all TV listings

4. File Sharing   -   #64
    If I didn't "steal", I wouldn't buy either so I don't really see the moral problem. It's like sports, watching a hocky games is not worth more than 5$ for me so I don't go. Same goes for movies, I only go to 4.00$ tuesday. I didn't even listened to music before Kazaa so I don't get that some coorporation is losing money of p2p.

5. File Sharing   -   #65
    Poster
    As someone who is, at the moment, sharing almost all of my hard drive. I find most of the comments in this thread misguided!

Someone has, at some point, to: finance and then: distribute, everything that we share. How else would it ever be available for sharing?

6. File Sharing   -   #66
    Wether you intend to buy the product or not doesn't really matter.

'cos there are a lot of things in the supermarket that i'd take if it's free, but if they cost money (99.99% of them do), most of them i wouldn't buy, that don't justify shoplifting.
    I can say: "I didn't intend to buy it anyway, so you didn't make a loss, i would have returned the disks once i've copied them, so you wouldn't make a material loss"
    But i'll probably still get prosecuted.

7. File Sharing   -   #67
    Maybe filesharing does boost the sale of unheard of bands, but what about the more popular bands? if you dl some MM or Dido CD instead of buying it, there's no justification, 'cos you could've heard it on the radio or tv, if not the song at least the band.

And what does filesharing do in the long term? sure, radio and TV shows boosted record sale. But there is a difference between radio and filesharing. With radio you can't control what song you listen to next, or when the station will play which song, and you can't tell the station to repeat it at your pleasure. but with file sharing you get a copy of the song, not much different from the copy on the CD.

So, do you really think filesharing can boost record sales in the long term?! remember mp3s are free, CDs cost $30; there's no difference between the two. (yes, mp3s aren't as good, 70KB/s + less quality, but i don't hear no difference; and yes, you do have to burn the mp3s onto a CDR to see there's no real difference)

isn't it human nature to always go for the more economical option? e.g. the law even says companies should reduce their tax to a minimun by doing everything within the law.

8. File Sharing   -   #68
    My thoughts are, in the end, we are theifs. At least I am, if a game doesn't have good online play that REQUIRES a valid key then I WILL not buy it. The music industry had FU--ED us over for years, and even if someone says they didn't, I don't care. They will always have more money than probably all of us combined anyway. Just stop pretending everything we do on KAZAA is moral, it's not, and I really don't care.

9. File Sharing   -   #69
    Poster
    Originally posted by Will_518@17 October 2003 - 20:31
    Are we jsut a bunch of theives?

i was talking with a buddy who didn't know much about filesharing, he was very much against it, and it really got me thinking about this issue.

what is filesharing?
    Isn't this just downloading games, movies, books, and music from other people on the internet?

So, what is wrong with that?
    think about this, How many of the files you download are copyrighted?

Why are they copyrighted?
    So, the people who benefit from the files are those who put the effort and time into making it for our entertainment and their wallet. And they rightfully should be the ones benefiting from it.
    How would you feel if you worked for 2 years to build a house, then someone else just gave it away, and you got nothing from it? I would want to lynch the guy who gave it away.

i think i've made the point. What we filesharers are doing is stealing the fruit of other people's laubour. We are guilty.

Imagine a world where everyone was a filesharer, would we still have any files to share?

I'll give you an example. India makes about 1/3 of world's software; while China makes almost none. Why? Because, 99% of the disks you buy in China is Pirate Warez. in fact it is very difficult to find a shop that sells nothing but the copyrighted legal version of software in China.

So, should we stop sharing files?

Why would we still share and download files if we know it is so wrong? Do we even know what we are doing is wrong? Would it matter?

(i'm not from RIAA or MPAA. I did share files, and i probably will in the future when i get a better internet connection [i'm 56k atm], what i want to know is should we do something about this and stop sharing?)
    House metaphor is wrong its more like would u hate it if someone copyed ur house.

The theifs r the record companys who hold a monopoly on the dam buisness and sell their songs which is 3 minutes on nosie for phuckin $30 now thats puckin theivein, if their prices were a bit more reasonable like $5 i would rather pay for them cause u get the nice cover 'n all that shit, but untill then im going to steal as much files as i can.

Paying for things is over-rated, stealing is da bomb.

You guys all think its wrong to steal, NEWS FLASH theres nothing wrong with stealing, dam society trying to make out stealing is wrong.

10. File Sharing   -   #70
    Poster
    Originally posted by Neo 721@23 October 2003 - 22:51
    That is true about the radio thing but does law actually probhibit such recordings from the radio and TV (if it is then blow me becuase why do they list codes for your VCR to imput to record a movie).

Edit: This is called video plus btw and and is in all TV listings
    Recording of songs on the radio and of tv is illegal, and is classified as stealing. But everyone does it and no one cares, just like filesharing will be like in 10 years!!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast