Thread: Help

I'm having something of a problem. I downloaded some software from Kazaa recently and now I can't figure out how to install it. I keep getting an error message saying that its not a valid win32 file. Is there anything I can do about this and if not how can I tell if it's a valid file before downloading it. If anyone coudl help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Mal

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    its probably a fake. change the .exe to .avi or .mp3 and see if it plays.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    er.......you said "software", not music, right? if you mean that then changin .exe to .avi or .mp3 isnt gonna do you any good, they're music and video file extensions......and gettin software off kazaa isnt the best way, sometimes you can get lucky, but lots of times theyre fake, or incomplete
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    you use winiso or isobuster to extract it boss

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@18 October 2003 - 02:36
    er.......you said "software", not music, right? if you mean that then changin .exe to .avi or .mp3 isnt gonna do you any good, they're music and video file extensions......and gettin software off kazaa isnt the best way, sometimes you can get lucky, but lots of times theyre fake, or incomplete
    perhaps i'm missing something here. You said you got some software off kazaa. Usually software carries with it an .exe extension, at least thats what kazaa uses to classify the media. I also assumed you double clicked the file to see what would happened and instead of it executing or running you got an error which said it wasn't a valid 32 bit app. Which means the file did have a .exe extension because it tricked windows into attempting to run it. If it hadn't had a .exe extention windows would have looked for an association to another executable and if it couldn't find one it would have asked what program to use to open the file. But it didn't, from what I understand, it attempted to run it.
    So, what does this all mean? You either have an ISO/bin or a fake .avi or other playable media that someone uploaded as a program file.

Example: Corel Draw 11 has several fakes banging around on Kazaa right now, In particular Cd2 and 5 are actually .avi files. You down and try to launch and they give errors. BUT, if you change their file extensions to .avi you will find they are both movies.

Usually legit software if its an iso or bin will have a clue to its type. office2003.iso.exe or office2003.bin.exe in both cases just remove the .exe leaving the office2003.iso and then burn... The reason for putting the extra extension on is so it will be classified by Kazaa correctly. Kazaa doesn't recognize .iso or bin as software and as a result dumps it into the everything category making it hard to find.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    malibu, It would help if you told us what the filename and extension is.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    It was windows XP but I think I deleted it becuase now I can't find it. Anyway, thanks for your help and I'll try downloading it again. If I have any luck or if I have the same problem I may be back. Anyway thanks everyone. Cheers. ^_^