Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could I Upgrade?

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    My processor is a "AMD-K6™ 3D Processor" and is 500mhz(which is why I need to upgrade) and Im not sure what my motherboard is (how do I find out without opening the back up?) What processor/motherboard would be good in my pc (atleast 1.5ghz)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What kind of machine do you have?

What form mobo will your case accept?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    All the shit you should need is in the screenshot

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you're on a tight budget get an ECS K7S5A-PRO motherboard and an Athlon XP 2000+.

I'm quite sure you can still use the same RAM that you have right now with that board.

Total less that $150.00 US.

Edit: Good point, clocker. Just make sure your case and power supply can support the new board.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@18 October 2003 - 15:25
    If you're on a tight budget get an ECS K7S5A-PRO motherboard and an Athlon XP 2000+.

Total less that $150.00 US.

Edit: Good point, clocker. Just make sure your case and power supply can support the new board.
    nah my budget is pretty wide, and how do I know if it can support it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I am not an expert in this field, probably Virtualbody knows more, but.....

My old eMachines had a weird, apparently custom, motherboard and the case simply would not accept a standard ATX(?) form motherboard. ATX is just a standard and describes the mounting hole location and general size (I think).

The power supply is really no problem...they are easily upgradable, it is the size & design of the motherboard that could get you.

If your cables are stock ( as I assume that they are) then you may have to replace them also, as the slots in motherboards are not always in the same place...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    in all my dealing with name brand comp eg compaq hp ibm you cant put another motherboard in them and sometimes they have their own ram that isnt compatible with other comps....

EDIT:the cases are desinged so even if you did manage to get a Mobo in there you will norm find usb keyborad connections are at the wrong end with not way or where to put and vid cards etc and the power supplys are made for that particular machine and not useable with another Mobo...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can easily get a new case with power supply and that would solve the problem if your case is not a standard format.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@18 October 2003 - 07:59
    You can easily get a new case with power supply and that would solve the problem if your case is not a standard format.
    Very true.

But now you are approaching the point of "building a system" rather than just upgrading.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    At other prople have said, Compaq machines do not usually have a standard board layout, nor do they have a removable cover plate, so you will probably need a new case too. You can get a reasonable case for about £25, so that should not be too much of a problem.

I disagree with virtual's assessment of your ram, it will certainly only be sdram, I suspect it will be PC100 at best, and possibly only PC66. You will need to upgrade to ddr ram, at least DDR266.

I'm guessing from the amount of memory shown in the system information that your existing motherboard has a built in graphics adapter sharing your main memory. Your replacement motherboard will also need a built in adapter, or you will have to get a graphics card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast