Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Good Card?

right now i have a machines w/ only a pci slot and i was wondering if this card would improve my gaming performance over a current MX-440. my 440 is acting weird lately and during cs i wierd things popin up.

P.S. plz dont tel me to get a new mobo cuz i've consider the mobo option but dont want to spent that much to get mobo plus grafic cuz i only game 1-2x a week.

system spec:
    1.8 ghz p4
    384 mb ddr rams

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    EDIT:

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Maybe just an update to your drivers could solve those problems.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    no, i try all the driver out there. the newest one didnt work either

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What about here: http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

And one other thing that I can think of. Check the fan on your card. is it working and it the heatsink clean?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lol i dont even have a fan on my card, only heatsink.

the link u gave me was great but i dont know which one would fit my prob.

btw, my card doesnt have a little power thing to plug the fan in so thats y it still only got a heatsink. if i does i would had a fan on it a long time ago.

but aside from that , would the 9100 pro give me ne boost in gaming performance?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    if you're dead set on sticking with PCI, the Radeon 9100 Pro is the only PCI gaming card that'll give you "decent" speed in recent games. i'd suggest going for one with 128mb of DDR memory, though, because a lot of games do benefit from it nowadays because it'll minimize the amount of data it has to swap back n forth between the graphics card and the motherboard. i'm guessing that your GF4MX has 64mb, so you may as well make your new card an upgrade in all respects-- you'll just get more mileage out of a 128mb model.

if you're gonna get a PCI card, definitely get a 9100 Pro and rule out any other choices because they're all pretty weak in comparison. and yes, it is a significant step up from your current card (and a better performer in games like Counter-Strike) since it makes better use of the PCI interface and it includes hardware support for DirectX 8.1 graphic effects which are becoming standard issue on a lot of the latest popular games.

if you're using Windows XP, it would be well worth your money to bump your system RAM up to at least 512mb, as well. it's not essential, but it would help.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    HEY!!! get a new mobo........lol, just kidding.............(im sorry i had to do it) but i have noticed that the pci vid cards are getting hard to come by, everything is agp. i have a radeon 9500 pro 128 agp, and i would like nothing more than to get a new mobo so i could get the 8x feature of my card. but yea, the 9100 would be an improvement (so much for my rediculous input )

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    My 440 is acting weird lately and during cs i wierd things popin up.
    Whats popin up funny square things all over !! Seeing that its onboard it could be your system memory at fault see if you can borrow some more off a mate to test the board out. Yes the upgrade is worth it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    weird blochy (is taht a word?) color thing. other then tah i have no clue how to descirbe it.

@brainiac

ty for ur reply. exactly what i was looking for. I would buy a 128 but i have no clue where to get one. i try new egg but they only have 7000 and the 7500.

btw, y is it that agp graphic card are so much cheaper then pci. examples would be the fx5200 128 mb. agp=$56 on pricewatch and pci= 82 dollars. pci is slower so y is it more expensive?

EDIT: after reading brainiac post i have place the order for a 9100 pro 64mb and 256 mb of ddr ram. ty brainiac.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast