Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive In "imminent Danger Of Failing"

Poster
    During the blaster worm scare i decided to go to the microsoft update website to download the fix to prevent myself from getting the worm. Halfway through installing the patch, microsoft's website crashed (probably high traffic), and the installation failed. Hours later I visited a reputable website and the computer decided to crash. I had to hold down the power button in order to shut it off. Upon restarting, a blue screen of death appeared telling me this:

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and some time later...
    "STOP 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL"

After talking to a nice tech support man from India, i was told to reboot with the windows XP reinstall CD. Upon doing so, the computer ran the checkdisk DOS program and "fixed" the hard drive... sorta.

When the computer restarted a message appeared stating that my hard drive was in "imminent danger of failing." ScanDisk and defragging did absolutely nothing to help.

What's wrong: It takes about 60 seconds longer to start up and i can't play movies or games that require a good system like mine to run. Processes like hashing a bittorrent file take ages longer than before.

My system: 2GHz P4, Win XP, 512MB RDRAM, 40GB (5GB free) NTFS hard drive (ATA-100 or 66, Ultra DMA)

Are there any good tools to diagnose my problem, should i just reinstall the OS, or should i but a new 80+GB hard drive and do some thing to copy all files (including OS) from one HD to another? How about reformatting? Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I did use system restore to a point before I downloaded the windows update, but to no avail.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ehhh sounds pretty bad, u might wanna back-up all ur stuff and do a clean formatt and install xp, sounds kinda liek a virus....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I was relieved when i got back in... i immediately saved all my music to disk I organise my music folder based on the time i downloaded them, so having to re-download them would have really made me mad

Edit: Oh, and norton antivirus detected no problems

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    it sounds like u have bad clusters on ur hard drive, which is an impending hard drive failure. did u say chkdsk found bad clusters and repaired them? i can't remember, but just in case u cannot fix a bad cluster, only move it 2 an unused spot on ur hard drive - sooner or later though, it'll get u.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    yea, backup ur important stuff, then reinstall. u might even want to reconfigure ur partitions cuz some viruses screw that up too.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Actually if you computer crashed it's probably because of winows xp update. Same thing happened to me is you serial FCKGW RHQQ2.............? or another fake? Windows always checks the serial and if it's not good it uninstalls windows.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Nah it's a legal version shipped with it from dell

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by KILskOOL@20 October 2003 - 16:22
    Windows always checks the serial and if it's not good it uninstalls windows.
    I did not know they could do that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+21 October 2003 - 01:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 October 2003 - 01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KILskOOL@20 October 2003 - 16:22
    Windows always checks the serial and if it&#39;s not good it uninstalls windows.
    I did not know they could do that. [/b][/quote]
    that would b cool 2 c - "now uninstalling your windows since u don&#39;t have an authorized serial number, thank you"....

i&#39;ve neva seen it either, and i have plenty of xp machines out there w/bogus keys -

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an+20 October 2003 - 19:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an &#064; 20 October 2003 - 19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@21 October 2003 - 01:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-KILskOOL
    @20 October 2003 - 16:22
    Windows always checks the serial and if it&#39;s not good it uninstalls windows.

I did not know they could do that.
    that would b cool 2 c - "now uninstalling your windows since u don&#39;t have an authorized serial number, thank you"....

i&#39;ve neva seen it either, and i have plenty of xp machines out there w/bogus keys - [/b][/quote]
    I suspect it would go more like this...

"Naughty, naughty, naughty.

ZAP&#33;

Thank you for pirating Microsoft."
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast