Thread: I Am Thinking Of Installing A 2nd Hard Drive

I am thinking of installing a 2nd hard drive on the pc. I was told that I need to get some jumpers my current hard drive has none on it. What my interpretation of jumper is little pegs that basically dictate which drive is master and which one is the slave. As far as right now I have no clue if my drive that I will buy (bare drive) will have something telling me where to put the jumpers. As far as my current drive I can't see to find that out either. My real problem is these EDA cable i don't get what they are, from what i gather they attach the drives together but are these used along with the jumpers? Any information would be help full i am a new to all of this and i would like to learn. Oh and i did a search for my type of question and found stuff but not exactly what i was looking for so i hope someone can help me thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by thatsomekid@20 October 2003 - 09:38
    I am thinking of installing a 2nd hard drive on the pc. I was told that I need to get some jumpers my current hard drive has none on it. What my interpretation of jumper is little pegs that basically dictate which drive is master and which one is the slave. As far as right now I have no clue if my drive that I will buy (bare drive) will have something telling me where to put the jumpers. As far as my current drive I can't see to find that out either. My real problem is these EDA cable i don't get what they are, from what i gather they attach the drives together but are these used along with the jumpers? Any information would be help full i am a new to all of this and i would like to learn. Oh and i did a search for my type of question and found stuff but not exactly what i was looking for so i hope someone can help me thanks.
    ur current hd should have a jumper on it, and the hd should also be labeled as 2 where 2 place it 4 - master, slave, cable select. same w/the new drive u purchase.

IDE cable - not sure if urs has 2 channels on it or not, but if it does u can just plug the 2d drive in2 the 2d available channel on the cable.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Some hard drives (but not many these days) need jumpers to change from stand alone to master, you need to say what drive you've got at the moment, and if necessary browse the manufacturer's site to find the jumper settings.

Your new drive will have all the jumpers you need, and should also have a diagram showing how to set the drive as a slave. As for the cable, you really nead an ultra-ata 80pin cable if you don't already have one. Ideally you need to provide a little more info about your current setup (hard drive and mobo) so that we can advise you properly.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@20 October 2003 - 10:00
    Some hard drives (but not many these days) need jumpers to change from stand alone to master, you need to say what drive you've got at the moment, and if necessary browse the manufacturer's site to find the jumper settings.

Your new drive will have all the jumpers you need, and should also have a diagram showing how to set the drive as a slave. As for the cable, you really nead an ultra-ata 80pin cable if you don't already have one. Ideally you need to provide a little more info about your current setup (hard drive and mobo) so that we can advise you properly.
    u must have different technology where ur from compared 2 here in america. i've yet 2 c a hd w/out jumpers on it (only need 2 set if u have more than 1 drive) - i've also yet 2 c an 80 pin ata connector, ours r 40 (80 wire, but not 80 pin).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well i have the IED cable that is stemmed off from the one that is currently on...I don't think i need a new one after all....About the jumper I have yet to actually get the drive but it's a bare drive which i gather mean it doesn't come with anything other than the drive itself so i have no clue if it comes with jumpers...Here is the drive i am getting http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod...400d83382015e70
    This thing seemed cheap and it's all the right spec for what i need....
    I am greatfull for the help fellas...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    That drive imo is already obsolete. It's 5400rpm vs 7200rpm.
    So look for 7200rpm, 8mb cache & a 3 yr warr.
    Cause a alot of HDD are cheap 5400rpm, 2mb cache & only 1yr warr.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I assumed that the drive that i'll buy will have no jumper i think I assumed wrong....Oh and i see the jumper on my current drive now.
    I can't have a 7200rpm my mother board will not support it...
    I figuered this shit out though thanks for the help with the feedback and everything...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    It should also NOT cost too much more than a dollar per GB. You usually can find them for LESS than a dollar per gig,
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an+20 October 2003 - 19:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an @ 20 October 2003 - 19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@20 October 2003 - 10:00
    Some hard drives (but not many these days) need jumpers to change from stand alone to master, you need to say what drive you&#39;ve got at the moment, and if necessary browse the manufacturer&#39;s site to find the jumper settings.

Your new drive will have all the jumpers you need, and should also have a diagram showing how to set the drive as a slave. As for the cable, you really nead an ultra-ata 80pin cable if you don&#39;t already have one. Ideally you need to provide a little more info about your current setup (hard drive and mobo) so that we can advise you properly.
    u must have different technology where ur from compared 2 here in america. i&#39;ve yet 2 c a hd w/out jumpers on it (only need 2 set if u have more than 1 drive) - i&#39;ve also yet 2 c an 80 pin ata connector, ours r 40 (80 wire, but not 80 pin). [/b][/quote]
    But your also 2 c a 100mb internet connection

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Rubbish all m/boards will take a 7200 r.p.m drive its old boards that won&#39;t see a 8 gig and above drive and you can get over that to with a cache card or softwere.