Thread: Assessment Of Risk

Newbie here, I was hoping you guys could clear this up for me, as I have heard and read many contradicting things.

First of all, how exactly are they (the RIAA) pursuing file-sharers? Is it by browsing the files that they share (as I read on MSN) or is it by them offering files as bait and then recording the transfer (as I read on oth.net)?

If it's the first, it seems like as long as you don't share files, you're safe, no? And if it's the second, it doesn't really seem like anyone is safe...

Similarly, I read a Washington post article that they were only after uploaders, not downloaders ("leeches"), but I've read some contradictory things on this board and others.

Also, how effective (if at all) are programs such as peerguardian and Blackcat? I've used Blackcat, and I think something's wrong because it registers attempted scans even when my computer is not connected to the internet (yes, I still have shitty dial-up).

Just a few final thoughts of my own:
    -The RIAA is entirely to blame for their current financial situation.
    -I think eventually they'll tire of perpetual lawsuits and consumer disgust and give up on this sue-the-consumer bullshit.
    -There is NO WAY they will prevent file sharing. Technology does not move backward, and for every paying service there will be hundreds of free services. And there's always FTP's to fall back on as well.
    -Thanks for any responses. I've enjoyed the wealth of information on this board.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    RIAA can't stop all the file sharing

they are just picking the largest and fattest sheeps for the kill

the fact is, there are A LOT of file sharing networks out there, the fasttrack network is only one of them.

just to name a few, others include emule/donkey, bittorrent, overnet, gnutella, not to mention the old irc channels and newsgroups.

they CAN"T stop all of them, the network is global and RIAA's attempt to wipe out file sharing is simply futile

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Does anyone else want to give me some more input on my post? Or all you all just sick of newbie questions?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    The RIAA cannot offer files to you, as then you wouldn't be infringing their copyrights by taking them

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Auburn_Tygaz's Avatar Member
    Originally posted by DasScoot@23 October 2003 - 00:01
    The RIAA cannot offer files to you, as then you wouldn't be infringing their copyrights by taking them
    If the copyrights are THEIRS to begin with, who's gonna flag them from using the music to sucker people into downloading the files?? THE COURTS???!!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by MichaelEdwards@22 October 2003 - 20:43
    Does anyone else want to give me some more input on my post? Or all you all just sick of newbie questions?
    They cant do jack!
    Thats the borroum line, I beleave.