Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking Torrenting from router

Is it possible for me to BLOCK torrenting or atleast Utorrent from my router without my house mates knowing?

1 doesnt know what hes doing with it and the other is a cock and is always seeding even when hes out... ok to seed but not so the rest of us cant use it and i would like to just enforce this when he is out etc, or just been a cock to me .

router is a:
    netgear WGR614v9

i know i can just block anysite with "torrent" in the name but this shows "this site is blocked by netgear"...

maybe possible to change DNS for things like piratebay etc, as they use that? is that possible?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    kurdt's Avatar Death From Above
    Quote Originally Posted by Ijustwantanzb View Post
    Is it possible for me to BLOCK torrenting or atleast Utorrent from my router without my house mates knowing?

1 doesnt know what hes doing with it and the other is a cock and is always seeding even when hes out... ok to seed but not so the rest of us cant use it and i would like to just enforce this when he is out etc, or just been a cock to me .

router is a:
    netgear WGR614v9

i know i can just block anysite with "torrent" in the name but this shows "this site is blocked by netgear"...

maybe possible to change DNS for things like piratebay etc, as they use that? is that possible?
    find this feature in your router: "block services"

determine the port your roomate uses

block that port

vague, i know, but it's different from router to router. but that is what netgear calls it, i believe (block services).

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    hmmm you could try to find out what port his torrent client is using and close it in the routers firmware settings, although if he figures what has happened he can just change the port number his client uses. Not sure how to do that with a netgear router best to look on their website.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Very good question.

You can block utorrent.exe through Firewall software or even Windows Firewall (so that utorrent can't access the Internet), but I'm unsure if you'll be able to hide that it's been blocked. It sounds like you have multiple PCs on the same Internet connection, I dunno if your Firewall will handle just your PC, or the entire connection through the router. It's possible you'll have to do this on the other PCs as well, which means they can disable it in order to bypass the blockage.

I've heard that NetGear routers have a firmware thing where you can block certain ports in it. If it's possible, block ranges 1-20, 23-79, 81-442, and 444-65535. That way he'll only be able to use the 'net & FTP. This is drastic, mind you, and not a recommended approach, and will most likely also block IRC, which uses 6667 on non-SSL.

Another option, probably the best one, is to use NetLimiter (www.netlimiter.com) in which you can control all traffic on the network. This is assuming your PC is the main hub in which the other PCs are secondary on the LAN. Good luck, regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyd View Post
    hmmm you could try to find out what port his torrent client is using and close it in the routers firmware settings, although if he figures what has happened he can just change the port number his client uses.
    --This won't work unless you block most of the ports, as explained above.
    Last edited by KS-202; 03-01-2010 at 12:20 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Disable UPnP in router and delete any personally made exceptions in NAT firewall/Virtual server. While this won't stop his uploading completely, it will most likely severely limit it.

As you said, you would like to do this when they are not around. These are very easy to turn off/on

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    If that router has QoS, then you can prioritize the traffic to your IP/netbios and give him lower priority. This way, even if he is downloading, it won't hog your connection.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I actually managed to get it working... well it worked on my computer when i tried it . I dont use torrents so it doenst effect me applying it to the whole network, but i have just set it to his IP.

I just blocked all ports from 1 - somethign crazy like 65000 i think. He's not mentioned anything yet, but I have been disconnected from the router a few times since i think he's tried the good old power on and off trick lol and not realising whats actually happened.

I've already tried the UPnP thing you have mentioned, it didnt seem to do anything just wondering but what does UPnP do?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I believe UPnP is what helps users with dynamic IPs (behind routers?) become connectable at a tracker.

I think it stands for Universal Plug n Play, basically a protocol to help devices seamlessly connect to each other, and in that regard, you don't have to fiddle with IP settings/port forwarding to become connectable at a tracker.

I'm guessing that disabling it would help slow down upload rates as he has to initiate the connection (others can't connect to him, hence unconnectable). Thus it would help minimize the bandwidth impact of your roommate.

(I'm talking out my ass though and may have no idea what I'm talking about)

I would also try what Cabalo suggested as well and try to configure the QoS (quality of service?) settings of router so that you have a higher bandwidth priority, that would help alot.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    UPnP? NAT?

Back in the day, we used to resolve this sort of issues with a good 'ol fist fight.
    What's wrong with this generation?

p.s.: some good suggestions above. Note that blocking his entire traffic is too obvious and us bound to get detected once someone digs into it. If you leave some essential ports (TCP: 80, 443, 25, UDP: 113 etc.) he might just think that the ISP is blocking torrents

That, btw, won't stop him from torrenting, only from being connectable which would slow him down considerably. Prioritizing your traffic over his in the router might help as well, but to block him completely you'll need a stateful inspection based packet filtering to identify the BT traffic, and I don't think you have access to that unless you're using a professional firewall.
    Last edited by pro267; 03-01-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    get dd-wrt firmware, then you can block p2p activity and much more

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast