Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Case

Ex-member
    If you do go for a new motherboard, you might want to consider an Asus board - they tend to have fan-throttling features that will automatically strike a balance between cooling the CPU and spinning fast.
    So you'll always be as quiet as possible.

The Asus A7N8X Deluxe (2nd edition) is the best mobo there is for Athlons IMO, and it supports this feature.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    BANNED
    A Decal window is in the shape of something fancy, a lightning flash, for instance, or a hawk, etc. as opposed to a whole side window.

My case can be noisy if i let it, as its on 24 hours a day for days on end sometimes, I tend to have all the fans going. So thats 3 case fans, psu fan, cpu fan and graphics card fan. But I grew up under the flight path at Heathrow so I'm used to that amount of noise! Seriously tho, you can have them thermostatically controlled so they only come on when needed.

My psu came with the case, it runs on some special bearing and is silent, or near enough, 430 watt I believe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, I am familiar with your fan adaptor and applaud your ingenuity.
    I saw a further addition to your concept ( sorry, can't remember where, if I run across it again I'll send you the link) which involved making a adaptor to fit the outboard side of the fan and ducting cool air from the outside of the case. The results were pretty amazing.

I am considering using noise suppression pads inside the case also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    a adaptor to fit the outboard side of the fan and ducting cool air from the outside of the case
    Wow. That's cool because I have been trying to do that same thing myself. (Flexible tube to the back of the case.) I still havn't perfected it yet.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@21 October 2003 - 07:14
    a adaptor to fit the outboard side of the fan and ducting cool air from the outside of the case
    Wow. That's cool because I have been trying to do that same thing myself. (Flexible tube to the back of the case.) I still havn't perfected it yet.
    Yep.

This setup has two identical adaptors. One mounts to your heatsink fan and the other to a fan mounted on your case wall/back. The wall fan intakes air from outside and blows it through the duct to the heatsink fan. This kit also includes a chimney ( essentially just a shroud) mounted to the exhaust area of your PSU. It directs the hot air from your power supply straight up so it won't get sucked back into your case.
    The drop in temp using this setup was 5-6C. Not too shabby.

Edit: this is not the exact product I was talking about, but identical in concept and execution...Fan duct

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    I was thinking to try reversing the direction of airflow so that the heat from the heatsink gets sucked right out the case. It would help with the case temps as well. That's my next experiment.

Another thing I have done is I have cut two 80mm holes in the floor of my case and used these:

as a grill. It allows for great airflow. I also built a box that my tower stands on. The box houses my router and external modem. It also has two 80mm holes on top that align with the holes on the bottom of my case. The whole unit can be rolled around, I put it on casters.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    BANNED

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Thanks to all of you for your help/advice.

In a couple of days I'll post some pics and we can continue our cooling discussion...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Originally posted by clocker@21 October 2003 - 14:43
    Thanks to all of you for your help/advice.

In a couple of days I'll post some pics and we can continue our cooling discussion...
    Cool!

I'll be there!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Good, I'd hoped you would be.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast