Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Better Athalon Or Pentium?

Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+25 October 2003 - 04:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power &#064; 25 October 2003 - 04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@21 October 2003 - 05:04
    ah, but Althon 64 is VERY pricey. (no one buyin em right now at all)
    athlon 64 sucks ass. get a pentium if ur not gonna oc that much. get a amd if u plan to oc a lot. but c, a pentium doesn&#39;t need ocing, but a amd does [/b][/quote]
    nonsense&#33;

Abu, I am sorry, but you have the grammatical skills of an infant.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    huh? lol... yea, maybe i do. but the athlon 64 isn&#39;t that good. most of the programs out today don&#39;t utilize the entire cpu, and they still run in 32bit... and it&#39;s crazy expensive. just wait for pentium 5 or watever they&#39;ll call it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    most of the programs out today don&#39;t utilize the entire cpu, and they still run in 32bit...
    Thats true but soon will and also there will be 64 bit OS&#39;s.

Why not be prepared.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    They did some tests a while ago.
    Pentium VS AMD

They used 2 pc&#39;s,

1st : with a Pentium 2800
    2th : with a AMD 2800+
    (Both without a cooling fan... lol)

The Pentium melted after a while and died..
    The AMD processor melted as well but kept going.

I use a AMD Athlon 2800+ and this pc is the most steady pc i have ever bought&#33;
    It really is&#33;

AMD is cheaper because of the "Pentium and it&#39;s good name" competition.
    That&#39;s all...

Just make sure you use a special Tower with an extra cooler on the side.
    AMD get&#39;s a bit hotter than Pentium.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rocktron,

Who is "they" and did they intend to destroy the chips?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by Rocktron@25 October 2003 - 09:51

Ok...I saw the same test..you got it wrong&#33; They tested an AMD duron, AMD athlon, Pentium 4, and a Pentium 3 I believe. None of them had heatsinks or fans. Both AMDs immedialty smoked up and quit. The P4 keept running but at a slower speed. Tomshardware.com did this and have a good video&#33; See if you can find it&#33; The Athlon reached 700 degrees&#33;&#33;&#33;
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+25 October 2003 - 18:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx &#064; 25 October 2003 - 18:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rocktron@25 October 2003 - 09:51

Ok...I saw the same test..you got it wrong&#33; They tested an AMD duron, AMD athlon, Pentium 4, and a Pentium 3 I believe. None of them had heatsinks or fans. Both AMDs immedialty smoked up and quit. The P4 keept running but at a slower speed. Tomshardware.com did this and have a good video&#33; See if you can find it&#33; The Athlon reached 700 degrees&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]

You can download the movie on this page. Link
    I watched the video that your talking about on Tomshardware.com
    All of the processors survived, and the Pentium was the fastest to quit. Pentium quit immediatly after pulling the cooler off. The AMD&#39;s lasted 4-5 seconds.
    And the AMD only reached 109 degrees.

Nice try though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Were not on the same page here lol. Im takling about when they tested a P4, Athlon, another Athlon, and a P3. Not the Athlon 64. Im talking about a diff video. The P4 survived in my video...the Athlon Xp went to 700 degrees and ruined the mobo too.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    another reason that the pentium is more expensive is because intel is in med with microsoft, so there&#39;s additional paper (the kind with the green ink) work that goes on at the manufacturer level.

another thing to keep in mind, is if you plan to run winNT on the machine...NT does NOT like an athlon processor. Wish I could say more on what all it entails but I&#39;ve never had to do it, or watched anybody do it. But it takes a bunch of extra work to get it to run on an athlon. I dont THINK that any of the later versions of NT have that prob, but I dunno for sure.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Belial
    Ok, first of all it&#39;s fairly obvious not many of you have done much research. To clear things up, both companies do things differently to acheive performance. Some things work to their advantage, for instance AMD&#39;s 10 stage pipeline kicks ass in business applications while Intel&#39;s 20 stage does it up in multimedia related applications.

However, forgetting the Athlon64 for a minute..the XP which is the current P4&#39;s head to head competition is completely tapped out. Up until Intel released the P4 "C" processors (800mhz FSB/Hyperthreading) the XP was doing a good job of matching and sometimes taking over in performance tests. However, the "C" processors from Intel have completely walked away from AMD&#39;s XP line and any review articles and benchmark statistics will clearly show it.

On the subject of overclocking that too is another area AMD seemed to have owned for quite some time. However, how many AMD processors do you see (normally by many users) overclock more than 1000mhz over its rated speed? Not many if you ask me. It is possible, but not as abundant as P4&#39;s. Intel has without a doubt the overclocking crown thus far. (This will change, I&#39;m sure.) Show me an XP that&#39;s reached 3.5ghz and I&#39;ll be impressed. Then I&#39;ll just have to show you the 4ghz+ overclocks P4 users have managed to get.

Also, for AMD&#39;s sake in this situation...clock frequencies do not mean everything. Just because Intel has a processor that&#39;s 200mhz faster than AMD&#39;s doesn&#39;t mean it performs better. (We&#39;re talking pre-"C" p4&#39;s) An XP 2100+ at 1.8ghz/266mhz will keep up with a 2.4ghz/400mhz P4 chip any day of the week. Keep that in mind.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast