Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would A Boycott Really Work?

Lick My Lovepump
    A lot of the people in this forum talk about boycotting the music industry. I know that a lot of people do use Kazaa and all that, but a few million people not buying CDs really would not make much of a difference. Think of all the people that buy CDs, a lot of them know nothing of filesharing at all, or if they do, they don't have PCs internet connections etc etc.

It may hurt music industries, but in the end what is it going to do?
    Its not going to make the music industry just give up and give away music, and I seriously doubt they would drop the incredibly high prices of their CDs when they know people will still pay for them.

In the end will it make a difference at all?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I guess we'd never know unless we try.

If i for instance don't think it'll work so i dont try it, same as you...and most everyone...then NO it won't. However, a few(3) million people not buying their 7 CDs average a year(conservative guess) X ($18, around here Midwest USA)=????

3,000,000X7=21,000,000x18=$54,000,000.00/year

Hmmmm....maybe my math is wrong

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It seems to me that a boycott already has worked.

I, and millions of others (apparently), have refused to pay absurd prices for substandard product for years now.
    The current RIAA shenanigans are the result.
    Go ahead, blame me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yep simple if they somehow find a way to get rid of filesahring im never buyign a CD again before fileshring was around I was buyign 5 CDs a week at insain 30 bucks each and 10 bucks each for a single damm song.

well they soon forget that don't they

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I hardly ever buy new CD's anyway, and not because of filesharing. If you wait a couple of years most things eventually end up in the "Bargain Basement" anyway...

People who buy new CD's are mugs.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    yes it would work if nobody bought cd for 2 month the whole industry would be on their knees

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Lick My Lovepump
    But the thing is, the usic industry is billions per year, not a few hundred million. I am already boycotting CDs, namely because they are a rip off, but as long as people buy them, the companies will squeeze every damn penny they can.

Also, if the companies do lose more because of file sharers, whats to stop them from raising the prices for the people that do buy CDs.
    That really would piss on the boycott bonfire.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Are we boycotting the CDs or just getting the music from Kazaa for free instead?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Will_518@22 October 2003 - 14:45
    Are we boycotting the CDs or just getting the music from Kazaa for free instead?
    Yay, getting it for free instead!!!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I would say both. I work as a DJ (mobile&club), I used to buy CDs just to do give-aways...but now nope! T-shirts and things unrelated to ANY ASCAP members. I find myself using some songs from DL but not alot since we subscribe to music services like PromoOnly, and most of the time it's music videos/or tracks off a 12".

Usually we would buy 12 CDs/mo. just to give away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast