Thread: Dvd&dvdrw Dissapeared!

My dvd player ( samsung DVD-ROM SD-816B ) and my DVDRW (_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A ) have both dissapeared off windows, i changed the driver using a flash application, and now appear to have the wrong drivers.

when it does see my dvdwr drive windows does think its a cdrom drive but it wont even do that now!

i dont have system restore switched on and dont have the restore cd's! (just to make matters worse.

does anyone know how to fix this or find the right drivers or whatever.

im absolutely desperate and this is my last hope!

if u know plz respond

cheers

chadds

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    goto device manager double right click the cross next to cd dvd and delete whats there

click start controll panel system then the hardware tab then device manager then restart windows
    thats what i would do hope it helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    nothing happens, thanks for trying, anyone else?

chadds

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    try to take them out, restart windows, with no drives. then shut down, put them in, and restart windows

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    that wouldnt work as i dont have the correct drivers anymore it would seem, thanks anyway

chadds

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by chadderseng@22 October 2003 - 06:43
    My dvd player ( samsung DVD-ROM SD-816B ) and my DVDRW (_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A ) have both dissapeared off windows, i changed the driver using a flash application, and now appear to have the wrong drivers.

I notice you said FLASH UTILITY. I presume that you flashed the firmware drivers for the unit and they didnt take well.

you can find original firmware here

http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/

theres also region free firmware.

BUT READ THE WARNING FLASHING FIRMWARE CAN REDUCE THE UNIT TO A PEICE OF USELESS CRAP. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    updating firmware is not something to approach casually. unlike changing software (i.e. programs & drivers that are part of windows), you're changing the data that's stored on the actual piece of equipment, which is essentially its way of communicating with windows-- explaining to windows what it is and what it's capable of doing.

so before you update firmware, you should be 100% certain that it is designed for your equipment, and you should create a backup copy of the original firmware. personally, i think you should only update the firmware when you have a good reason to believe that it will upgrade the equipment's features or fix a bug that the old firmware contained. otherwise, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

if you were trying to remove the region lock on the CD-RW drives, i would recommend trying go to back to the original firmware and simply use a program like DVD Region Free instead. it would greatly reduce your risk of permanently ruining the drive.

i hope you have good luck with fixing your drives, though.