Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammatical Question

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    There's this little problem I have in english language ( I have more than one, but this one really annoys me)

I can never tell whether to use 'I' or 'me' in sentences like

'more than me/I'
    or
    'you and I/me'

I don't know how else to explain this, I hope you understand what I mean.

Could someone tell me what the general rule for this is? (looking at JPaul and clocker *insert sweet schoolgirl smile here*)

2. Lounge   -   #2
    BANNED
    Both, Skweeky. It used to be that "posh" people said "I", and common folk said "me".

Now .... who cares?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    According to Microsoft Word - they're both acceptable.

While we're talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Lounge   -   #4
    razorsharp013's Avatar Fountain of Wit
    Originally posted by Skweeky@22 October 2003 - 18:34
    There's this little problem I have in english language ( I have more than one, but this one really annoys me)

'more than me/I'
    or
    'you and I/me'

Could someone tell me what the general rule for this is? (looking at JPaul and clocker *insert sweet schoolgirl smile here*)
    Not to sure about the first. But the second example is definately 'you and I'.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Skweeky@22 October 2003 - 23:34

'more than me/I'
    or
    'you and I/me'

One Generally does it this way, does one not?

'more than I'
    or
    'you and I'
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Ex-member
    Not entirely sure about this.. we're not actaully taught grammar in schools nowadays... but:

'I' is the nominative; you use it when you are the main subject of the sentence.

Such as "I committed the crime" or "I walked the dog". You are the main subject of both sentences, so you use 'I'.

'Me' is the accusative; you use it when you are not the subject of the sentence.

Such as "The crime was committed by me" or "The dog went for a walk with me". Here, the crime and the dog are the main subjects of the sentence.

I hope that's both clear and correct

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@23 October 2003 - 00:39
    According to Microsoft Word - they're both acceptable.

While we're talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )
    Semicolons: The Whole Truth

A semicolon functions as a kind of weakened period. It has three major functions:

1) It connects two independent clauses that are logically related and that are not joined by a conjunction.

Give without remembering; take without forgetting.

2) It separates items on a list, especially when the items on the list contain commas.

We visited the following cities: Paris, France; London, England; Rome, Italy; and Geneva, Switzerland.

3) It separates independent clauses if there are commas within the clauses.

We own a sailboat, a catamaran, and a motor boat; still, our favorite maritime activity is lolling around on deck.

How to Tell If You Have Used the Semi-Colon Correctly.

When you use the semi-colon within a sentence, you should be able to replace the semi-colon with a period. The words on the left and the right sides of the semi-colon must be able to meaningfully stand alone without any further revision.

Clear enough?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Why don't you lot talk proper english like what I do?

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by Skweeky+23 October 2003 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skweeky @ 23 October 2003 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DarthInsinuate@23 October 2003 - 00:39
    According to Microsoft Word - they&#39;re both acceptable.

While we&#39;re talking about grammer, when am i supposed to use semi-colons (one of these -> ; )
    Semicolons: The Whole Truth

A semicolon functions as a kind of weakened period. It has three major functions:

1) It connects two independent clauses that are logically related and that are not joined by a conjunction.

Give without remembering; take without forgetting.

2) It separates items on a list, especially when the items on the list contain commas.

We visited the following cities: Paris, France; London, England; Rome, Italy; and Geneva, Switzerland.

3) It separates independent clauses if there are commas within the clauses.

We own a sailboat, a catamaran, and a motor boat; still, our favorite maritime activity is lolling around on deck.

How to Tell If You Have Used the Semi-Colon Correctly.

When you use the semi-colon within a sentence, you should be able to replace the semi-colon with a period. The words on the left and the right sides of the semi-colon must be able to meaningfully stand alone without any further revision.

Clear enough? [/b][/quote]
    Now, I remember why I fell asleep during my first year studying english at uni and woke up only to discover the exams were over...

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Excellent explanation, Lamsey. That&#39;s exactly right...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast