Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Media Player

Hi for some reason there's no sound from WMP 9 from either of my cd-roms. when I play audio cd it plays mp3's etc fine and roxio player plays audio cd's from both my cd-rom.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thank's in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If you go to Tools/Options/Devices are your drives recongnized?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yup it plays them gets the media infermation from the internet just nu sound. I tried playing other media like streaming audio and mp3's they play fine (I cheched the volume and mute on my speakers and in wmp )

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    PLEASE DO NOT GET THE LASTEST VERSION OF WMP OR CONTINUE TO USE WMP9
    once you get wmp9, you can't get rid of it PLUS it has DRM

what the hell is drm you ask
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

ohh well I'll just un-install it if its so bad

you can't, there is no un-install of wmp9
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

from the link:
    Windows Me and XP users must rely on a feature called "System Restore" to roll back their Windows installation to a time before they installed Media Player 9 Series if the want to uninstall it. The clunky alternative doesn't really remove all Windows Media Player 9 Series files and could potentially wipe out other system changes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    use musicmatch jukebox to play audio, and wmp to play movies. thats what i do and if all else fails, re-install, cuz system retore is a piece of shit that does nothing but junk up your programs and make you feel like you accomplished something. And if you really wanna feel vindicated, download XP pro Corp and give it to all your friends who have lesser OS's just for spite. ( i know.....I'm retarded )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by muchspl2@23 October 2003 - 01:49
    PLEASE DO NOT GET THE LASTEST VERSION OF WMP OR CONTINUE TO USE WMP9
    once you get wmp9, you can't get rid of it PLUS it has DRM

what the hell is drm you ask
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm.aspx

ohh well I'll just un-install it if its so bad

you can't, there is no un-install of wmp9
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

from the link:
    Windows Me and XP users must rely on a feature called "System Restore" to roll back their Windows installation to a time before they installed Media Player 9 Series if the want to uninstall it. The clunky alternative doesn't really remove all Windows Media Player 9 Series files and could potentially wipe out other system changes.
    Well I'm pretty much buggered, update my windows and had all updates included even WM9 and I have system restore off oh well, I guess I am 0wned by the DRM now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    I'd recommend agienst MusicMatch also it has Spyware

from the link
    http://www.jms1.net/mmjb.html

These requests contained my MMJB registration code, which means that the MusicMatch people know exactly when I run their software, as well as a rough idea of where I am (by virtue of my IP address.) This by itself bothers me, but keep reading...

My next step was to insert a CD that I had received for Chrismas and rip the tracks for download to my MP3 player. MMJB sent a request to their servers again, with the ID numbers from the CD, asking for information about the CD- the artist, album name, and track names. This is fine, and is almost exactly what I expected to see, although I think it should have asked for permission before sending any query at all.

However, these requests ALSO contained my MMJB registration key, which means they also know what CD's I'm listening to, even though I have turned off the checkbox to participate in their music-listening database.

Their privacy policy states (in section 2) that the program will use the CDDB service "OR" their own service. However, the software automatically went to their servers, and doesn't have any way to choose which service to use. I would prefer to use a public CDDB service, but there is no way to change this in the software.

In addition, their privacy policy states that the software sends an "MMUID" code instead of any personally identifiable information. The fact is that my copy of the software is sending a blank MMUID along with my registration code. This is a direct contradiction of their privacy policy. Since I purchased my original copy of MMJB from them, and have registered the software, my registration code is "personally identifiable information".

EDIT: @noname12
    you have the option to install it thats how they get away with it, you can untick it as a install option,
    just most don't know how bad it is, try to get the word out

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Phew thats good because I am pretty sure if it was a selectable option on the installation I unchecked it, it wanted to install stuff that connect to the net anything that had that I didnt install it

Edit: To the question, isnt there a wire that comes with the drive that should be connect to the mother board, its an audio wire, thin and a small head. My friend had a problem once playind any type of CD, but internal sounds work, and it turned out he forgot to connect that wire.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    yea, that would do it. it connects between the drive and the sound card or mobo in the audio in slot. and that kind of bums me out, cuz i bought musicmatch lifetime upgrade about 2 years ago, and i cant remember if i unchecked that or not.................oh well, im a rebel.........skating the thin line between law abiding and just plain retarded...................stand back, I'm gunna explode..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by noname12@23 October 2003 - 02:47
    Phew thats good because I am pretty sure if it was a selectable option on the installation I unchecked it, it wanted to install stuff that connect to the net anything that had that I didnt install it

Edit: To the question, isnt there a wire that comes with the drive that should be connect to the mother board, its an audio wire, thin and a small head. My friend had a problem once playind any type of CD, but internal sounds work, and it turned out he forgot to connect that wire.
    The wires are connected, I know because I do hear somethng when I play audio cd with Roxio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast