Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are Cliques Good Or Bad?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 10:09
    Yup, I wasn't trying to insult your group, just making the point that they are somewhat cliqueish (hehe, another new word invented..).

It's certainly not a bad thing as such, I was just saying that some of the members of your group would get more out of BBs if they occasionally ventured outside of the 'clubs'.
    Both are correct versions. What am I doing Here? Standing in for JP?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 October 2003 - 20:09

It's certainly not a bad thing as such, I was just saying that some of the members of your group would get more out of BBs if they occasionally ventured outside of the 'clubs'.
    We're working on it Lamsey, it's scary out there!

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have somewhat the opposite problem, at least from the standpoint of political views.

The "conservative" clique here numbers, depending, 1 (me), occasionally 2 (if young kAb is about), and potentially 3 (if the new guy shows up).

I think the very word, "clique" suffers connotations it does not warrant, much as the word "ignorant" has, over the years, become a pejorative.

Sad, really.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Cohort's another word that's become grossly misused. So's gay. And retard. And...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #15
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    oh.
    clubs.
    yeah. they're dumb.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    To each their own.

Some people are only comfortable if they feel that they are part of a group of special friends. That is as true in real life as it is on the interweb. If that is what they need as a crutch then I have no problem with it.

Others are just obsequious and need a leader. No matter what anyone thinks, or choses to believe, a pecking order will be formed in any group. It's just the way we are.

Others still need to be that leader and are happy to have their followers, who will rally to their side no matter what happens. The ranks will close and the group will protect itself, no matter how stupid the reason.

I personally have been shown, in real life to be content to be removed from the pack, indeed to argue with the rest of the pack, when I disagree with it. No shit Sherlock I hear you cry. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes a bad thing. I can however say that, every time I have been tested in this way, this has always been the result. Some of you may be aware of how psyche testing works.

One thing I will say and I have said it before. To me loyalty is a very important thing. It may even be the most important thing. Some of us need to know that our back is covered, literally and figuratively. We must know that our friends will defend us in public. In private they may say - You are an arse - but in public they will stand by us.

I can say that, in my experience, Jonno is very much like that, where his friends are concerned. He will defend them and make it clear that he is doing so. I don't know this, but I feel that if he thinks it is appropriate he will chastise them privately.

The bottom line is that it is easy to judge another person by one's own standards, however unless and until we walk a mile in their moccasins, it is ultimately unfair. We don't know why they are how they are.

To each their own.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    The bottom line is that it is easy to judge another person by one's own standards, however unless and until we walk a mile in their moccasins, it is ultimately unfair. We don't know why they are how they are.
    While often you completely disappear up your own bottom, these are very wise words. I hope your adulating young fans pay attention to this one.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    While often you completely disappear up your own bottom, these are very wise words. I hope your adulating young fans pay attention to this one.
    Yek!
    You beat me wi' that.
    Top.

Normally i lose jp mighty quickly, but this is "spot"!

Yogi

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by liquidacid@24 October 2003 - 00:23
    Praise indeed, from someone whose posts have been nothing short of inspirational.

I remember with fondness your classic ....

I may, in you opinion, disappear up my own arse, you however never leave your's.

You occasionally throw out these "one-liners" and presumably think them clever. If intellectual masturbation is your proverbial cup of tea, so be it. However please take your condescension elsewhere. I for one find it tiresome.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    jpaul, i prefer your lounge mode. you go into world events mode to much these days

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast