Thread: is my CPU fan slowing ramdomly?

worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Well I just installed Windows 7 this morning and I'm loving it, I tweaked and fixed everything very neat and my machine is working great and all;
    but still there is this small detail that seems kind of weird, lets say I turn on my PC and surf the internet for a few minutes, may be half an hour,
    then all of the sudden I hear this 'click' sound that my PC does when I shut it down followed by the sound of a fan shutting down,
    except that it doesn't actually shut down, I keep using messenger, playing music or other stuff.
    I even looked inside the Case at the CPU fan, the little fan in my Graphics card, the power supply fan, all the fans seem to be working.
    And also, if I then do something like start a download, or play a movie, the PC does the opposite, like if it was being awaken all of the sudden.
    So it makes me think that maybe it is a feature in windows that is lowing the CPU fan or putting to sleep my HDDs,
    I tried investigating but so far no luck; hope someone can shed some light, thank you.

btw my System is something like this:

-Intel Core2 4400 @ 2.00 GHz 1.00 GHz
    -2.00GB RAM
    -Windows 7 32-bit
    -OS HDD 80GB + 320GB, 40GB HDDs
    -ATI RADEON 2400HD
    -Riviera Sound Card

*it came with two extra fans for the case that I removed a few weeks ago when the weather was a bit cold (because of the noise)

UPDATE: ok I just stumbled upon this interesting info and I came and wrote it in here,
    but the page crashed so now I don't want to write it again so here I leave the screenshot of it:

Could this have something to do with it?,
    the LCD display in front of my Case says CPU @ 21.1°C, but it could be wrong I guess.
    The most it will go is like 28°C I think, when the weather is really hot.

---
    Last edited by worldpease; 03-23-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: just dug up some intresting stuff

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Does your BIOS has EIST enabled?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    hmm could be it needs a good cleaning i`d try either a box of air or a an aircompressor like i do lol. carefully ofcourse, but it does wonders or it could be an BIOS thing like cabalo mentioned.
    Last edited by susiserken; 03-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Does your BIOS has EIST enabled?
    I went to the BIOS and couldn't find that option,
    among other things I found this, but some google-ing tells me not much is useful after all, anyway:

under Power Mngmt. Setup
    -ACPI: Enabled
    -Power Management Option: User Defined (other options are min saving & max saving)
    -HDD Power Down: Disabled
    -Suspend Mode: Disabled
    .....some stuff about graphics,
    -HPET Support: Enabled
    -HPET Mode: 32-bit
    -WDRT Support: Enabled
    -WDRT Run-Stop: Stop
    -WDRT Count: 1023

under PC Health
    -Shutdown Temp: 85°C
    -CPU Fan Control: Always On
    -CPU Fan Load: 5
    -CPU Fan Start: 38°C
    -CPU Fan Full Speed: 80°C
    -Start PWM Value (%): 30
    ---finally I might add that BIOS listed the CPU @ 31°C
    when the Case display says 21°C, now I know better.

-

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'll bet it's your hard drives spinning up/cutting out.
    Go to Power Options and check if the drives are set to cut off after a period of time.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Go to Power Options and check if the drives are set to cut off after a period of time.
    I believe you might be right, took this screen just now,

although that still leaves the 'fan-like' sound, I find it hard to believe that the HDs are making all that noise after all.
    still I guess it will turn out to be somthing to do with Power Management, as long as it doesn't harm my Setup it's ok with me,
    I'm all good with $aving electricity.

-

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by worldpease View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I believe you might be right, took this screen just now,

although that still leaves the 'fan-like' sound, I find it hard to believe that the HDs are making all that noise after all.
    still I guess it will turn out to be somthing to do with Power Management, as long as it doesn't harm my Setup it's ok with me,
    I'm all good with $aving electricity.

-
    If it really started after you installed windows 7 then it's 98% chance that it's just a power management setting and not a hardware problem.
    I agree with clocker that what you're hearing is just teh hard drive. Try setting that to 1 minute, then leave your computer for a minute and you should hear the click sound, open a program and you will hear it start up again.