Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning has been divorced

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    From the Colts. Isn't that some shit? After 14 years of outstanding service at the QB position(he is the only person in history to be the NFL MVP four times), the only team he's played for since he got drafted in '98, has sent him packing like he's a little bitch. Sure, the guy has had some neck surgeries. But he's going to play again. Even his Center, a very close friend of his, is saying that he's going to play in this upcoming 2012 season. And even if he isn't up to snuff on opening day, a 70-80% Peyton Manning is leagues better than the majority of the QB's in the NFL that are 100% healthy. Even if the guy is about to turn 36. He's a future hall of fucking famer.

They let him go the day before he was supposed to get his 28mil dollar signing bonus. I have no doubts that if the Colts weren't getting Andrew Luck(for you people not in the know, he's pretty much the number 1 rated QB in college) for the first overall pick then i'm sure the Colts wouldn't have done this.

Eventhough I am a die hard Bears fan, I am from Indiana. So this is a bit of a let down. The poor guy could barely get through his farewell speech without busting out into a full on cry. Colts owner Jim Irsay pretended like he was going to cry, but that little bitch was just happy to get rid of him. Eventhough Manning made Indy a football town.

The best revenge would be if he takes whatever team he decides to play for to the Superbowl(or at the very least the playoffs), and Andrew Luck gives the Colts a terrible season.

Pretty shitty I must say. It's so weird to see a future hall of fame QB be on the free agency list. But then again it happened to Montana and Unitas(Favre too but I believe that was because his retirement bullshit). So it's not unheard of.

Anyways, only 5 more months until preseason!

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Peyton Manning is a professional athlete who the Colts paid extremely well for the last 14 years.
    Could it have been handled better?Yes. Do the Colts "owe " him anything? No.
    Instead of feeling sorry for some mufti-millionaire athlete adored by literally millions maybe consider using some of that well of sympathy on people who truly have been badly done by who, unlike Manning, probably face a very bleak future indeed.

Btw the true travesty here is that someone like that actually has the gall to cry. But then again I guess the children starving to death in places like Somalia don't feel quite so self-entitled either.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    This has nothing to do with money, or people's admiration, Idol.

I've played at the national level before (not football), and there are many salient angles that people don't get. Someone like Manning has to had the patience to endure 14 years of training and chemistry building to get to where he was. When my team fell apart, I felt it was impossible for me to put in the effort to build up the same dedication with a new crew. That's not all, I didn't want to do it, since I felt comfortable on a personal level with my prior team mates. Within one pre-season I had quit the new team.

Add to that the joy of what he was doing, the legacy he's built for Indiana, and the pride he took in both of those, being swept from under his feet. He's also got to feel like he's going downhill year after year (Manning had a bad ending to his 2010 season, injury in 2011, and now his 2012-2013 is definitely going to waste rebuilding something he should already have at this point), and feel betrayed, since his own loyalty wasn't rewarded equally (over the years countless offers have been turned down, only for him to be kicked off for some unproven talent).

I'm pretty sure that all the money you think should make him happy, regardless of whether or not his life has just been turned upside down, he'd be willing to give away to continue playing with the Colts.
    Ellipses go here.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    I was a professional cyclist so I know more about sacrifice,commitment, loyalty and having to walk away from something that you've given your heart and soul to than you obviously give me credit for.
    You and Peyton on the other hand still seem to need a few hard lessons in life to gain proper perspective.

PS please note my previous and very pointed use of the word professional.The entire definition of what being a professional really means not totally dependent on the monetary compensation part.
    PPS I totally stand behind my belief that someone so blessed in life blubbering like a child because gee things aren't so perfectly perfect anymore is being incredibly disrespectful to well basically the rest of Humanity.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I think you guys are all way too involved with your fantasy leagues.

By the way, that's inherently fucking hilarious, a fantasy cycling league.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I was a professional cyclist so I know more about sacrifice,commitment, loyalty and having to walk away from something that you've given your heart and soul to than you obviously give me credit for.
    Must you say these things? It really is like dropping a bombshell in the middle of a battlefield, wherein the battlefield in this case is my building a hatred towards you for all the cruel jokes you pull. Then you go and credit yourself with something I'm awful at, and a modicum of respect starts building up. It'll take months more of your ramblings to reset the damage that has been done just now.

I'm exceptionally terrible at cycling. I don't think I've ever been past 10mph. I cycled from Ottawa to Montreal repeatedly, one summer, when I was trying to shed some weight. Did the trip about 3-4 times over the course of that summer. Had a group of friends do it with me each time. I'd arrive an entire day or two after my group members on a consistent basis.

Anyway, no wonder you keep up with Belgian news.

You and Peyton on the other hand still seem to need a few hard lessons in life to gain proper perspective.

PPS I totally stand behind my belief that someone so blessed in life blubbering like a child because gee things aren't so perfectly perfect anymore is being incredibly disrespectful to well basically the rest of Humanity.
    Sure, there are people dying from Malaria daily, and the world is flooding at a faster pace, but are you really going to blame someone for feeling depressed about their life going down the drain? Nobody gets fired from a job and then says "Oh, at least I had one." Nobody sees a close relative die and says "Well, 400,000 people die daily, too bad."

I got teary-eyed when Federer cried a couple of slams back when he lost just based on endurance. That's more empathy than I've managed to muster with people I see on a daily basis. Are you going to tell me that a feeling of primary inadequacy, of personal failure, depression and self-doubting, should just be alleviated by the knowledge that someone out there is having a worse day?
    Ellipses go here.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    So the Colts save themselves $28 million (for an athlete in his late 30s, really?), are on the verge of securing the best young QB around (not withstanding those from other countries), finally get rid of a player who was pretty much a fixture in the treatment room for a couple of years - and this is a bad thing because the athlete himself didn't want to go.
    This strikes me as a particularly odd stance to take.

Sentiment has no place regarding decision making in professional anything. This isn't so much an obvious point as something that only need ever be explained to obstreperous parents spectating at a Sunday kickaround.

To the unbiased onlooker, the decision makers at the Colts have done the best thing for their team, and therefore their fans, in the short, medium and long term.
    The first world problems of Mr. Manning are of little moment.

This would never be thought of as a problem in puntsphere, cricket or rugby.
    Perhaps aficionados of newer team sports need look to their forebearers for guidance when emotion runs high.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    Must you say these things? It really is like dropping a bombshell in the middle of a battlefield, wherein the battlefield in this case is my building a hatred towards you for all the cruel jokes you pull. Then you go and credit yourself with something I'm awful at, and a modicum of respect starts building up. It'll take months more of your ramblings to reset the damage that has been done just now.

I'm exceptionally terrible at cycling. I don't think I've ever been past 10mph. I cycled from Ottawa to Montreal repeatedly, one summer, when I was trying to shed some weight. Did the trip about 3-4 times over the course of that summer. Had a group of friends do it with me each time. I'd arrive an entire day or two after my group members on a consistent basis.

Anyway, no wonder you keep up with Belgian news.

Sure, there are people dying from Malaria daily, and the world is flooding at a faster pace, but are you really going to blame someone for feeling depressed about their life going down the drain? Nobody gets fired from a job and then says "Oh, at least I had one." Nobody sees a close relative die and says "Well, 400,000 people die daily, too bad."

I got teary-eyed when Federer cried a couple of slams back when he lost just based on endurance. That's more empathy than I've managed to muster with people I see on a daily basis. Are you going to tell me that a feeling of primary inadequacy, of personal failure, depression and self-doubting, should just be alleviated by the knowledge that someone out there is having a worse day?
    I've considered changing my sig to"I'm only joking and why is it suddenly my problem that you have no sense of humour?" but decided against it when I realized a joke that requires explaining probably isn't really that funny to start with.
    Or something like that except more understandable.

As for cycling ,like most things it's a learned ability.Anyone can become decent at if if they are willing to put in the time and effort necessary.You not only need aerobic capacity but to develop the necessary strength in certain areas, all the while working to become more mechanically efficient. Or maybe you tires are just flat? Have tried checking those?

Btw I do realize that every person ,even Manning, has emotions but I also think public figures (unfortunately?) lose a bit of their right to express those openly.Restraint sort of goes with the territory.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Looks like we're going to find out Monday or Tuesday who he's going to pick to sign with. The three remaining teams in the running are San Fran, Denver, and Tennessee. I have a feeling he's going to go with Denver.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Yep. Manning and the Broncos are finalizing a contract now. And Broncos are exploring trade option for Tebow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast