Thread: Linksys Hardware Firewall

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I've been having alot of trouble with my Linksys Router. Supposedly it has a built in firewall and I was wondering if there was any way of disabling it's control over certain ports? It's quite hard to download from IRC and share files through yahoo and shit like that when your denied the access by your own system...
    I tried talking to the live techs at Linksys.com but they never responded...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    No one else uses a Linksys?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    What model? the 4 port ? 8 port ? 16 port ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Spock4+25 October 2003 - 23:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spock4 &#064; 25 October 2003 - 23:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> What model? the 4 port ? 8 port ? 16 port ?&nbsp; [/b]

It&#39;s a 4-port BEFSR41

<!--QuoteBegin-Muchspl2
    @ 25 October 2003
    http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

should help ya
    [/quote]

Ok, so, I can open ports the same way for other fileshare programs as well?
    And if so, how will I know which ports to open?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I have a Netgear router but it should work the same as your Linksys. The firewall is always enabled by default and usually all uncommen ports are blocked, except standard ports for WWW and e-mail.

To open the ports you will have to forward them using NAT. So, when you go into the configuration menu of your modem there should be something called Port Forwarding or NAT. In that menu simply specify what port range you would like to open to what IP number.

Let&#39;s say you want to forward port 4662 (standard eMule port). All you do is put this port number or port range (if it goes from something like 4662 to 4667) into the router. Then, you also have to specify to what IP address you want to forward it. Obviously, you want to put the IP of your computer in that field&#33; Remember the IP address is assigned to you by the router&#39;s build-in DHCP, which assigns IPs at a first-come-first-serve basis. If the IP of your router/DHCP is 192.168.0.1, then your IP is most likely 192.168.0.2, if you are the first one that logged on to the network. If another computer is already logged on, your IP will be 192.168.0.3

And if so, how will I know which ports to open?
    The ports for the programs can usually be found in their options or preferences menu. If you have no clue, either ask someone here or go to Google.com and look it up.