Thread: Xp

My windows XP crashed. I cant even open winodws in safe mode. I reinstalled XP (not fresh installation).I have some important data in there. How do i save them ? Here is my DIsk situation

Drive C has windows 98 installed and Drive D has XP installed. Win 98 is working well but 98 cant show Drive D because its fat32 and XP is NTFS. I just somehow transfer the data from D:\ to C:\ then install a fresh XP in Drive D.

Plz Help
    sig removed.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Software world

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by aizlumzan@24 October 2003 - 15:08
    My windows XP crashed. I cant even open winodws in safe mode. I reinstalled XP (not fresh installation).I have some important data in there. How do i save them ? Here is my DIsk situation

Drive C has windows 98 installed and Drive D has XP installed. Win 98 is working well but 98 cant show Drive D because its fat32 and XP is NTFS. I just somehow transfer the data from D:\ to C:\ then install a fresh XP in Drive D.

Plz Help
    Do you have a spare drive around?

You could setup a fresh install on another drive and then reconnect your current one as a slave to recover your data.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    maybe change your drive to fat32 with partition magic, think you can do that

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    *Grunt*
    That's wierd what you say about being unable to view a differnt file system from 98, because I run NTFS from one drive and i have it on another, but on the primary drive there is a small partion that has a couple of gig that is FAT 32 and I can view that fine.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ntfs will see a fat32 drive but not the other way round. as to the post, reboot with xp disc, you need to enable it in your bios so that it boots from ya cdrom before the hardrive(ide0), select setup, then dont choose "repair with recovery console" unless you really sure of what you doin wait til you get to the point where it says windows can try and repair this installation for you and select it. it should rewrite the windows directory for ya.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by aizlumzan@24 October 2003 - 14:08

Plz Help
    Forget what everybody else said, it is way to much hassle. The easiest way to safe your data is to move it over to the Win98 partition but as somebody here already mentioned, Win98 can't use NFTS but XP can use NFTS and FAT.

The solution to your problem is a program called NFTS for Windows 98, which will basically allow you to read and write to any standard NTFS formatted disk through Win98. All you do is download the program, install it and you will have access to the other partitions.