Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Could I Connect Online Without Using Aol?

Originally posted by The Great Sephiroth@28 October 2003 - 05:34
    nope, i dont think its possible...i try like hell to do the same thing and i just coulndt do it. you should get rid of that Sh*t, its nothing but a monopoly. AOL forces users to use their program to use the internet and for email. i tried using a different email program with aol and it just doesnt work.

my advice?? dont go into irc using aol...specially into the "haxor" channels.
    I use AOL and i have no problem using other Email, i have a yahoo account and a BT account.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Originally posted by The Great Sephiroth@28 October 2003 - 05:34
    nope, i dont think its possible...i try like hell to do the same thing and i just coulndt do it. you should get rid of that Sh*t, its nothing but a monopoly. AOL forces users to use their program to use the internet and for email. i tried using a different email program with aol and it just doesnt work.

my advice?? dont go into irc using aol...specially into the "haxor" channels.
    wait are you general in the level cause AOL has these levels thingy and the only REAL internet is the general level if your anything under general is not internet. i tryed using something under general level and internet explorer wouldn't connect kazaa wouldn't connect nothing wouldn't connect....

AOL SUCKS

(SBC YAHOO DSL RULES!&#33

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I'd agree with the person suggesting to move away from AOHELL, it's without a doubt the worst ISP known to man. Basically, it's software is infested with spyware and the actual Broadband services are crap. I'd recommend Gio Internet.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    stay as far away from aol as u can

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by twister203@25 October 2003 - 20:27
    when i connect using aol it uses up so much memory. Is there a way to connect online without loading up the browser
    ?
    Drop aol and use Rip The Jacker's helpful guide for free juno

Or get more ram

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by twister203@26 October 2003 - 02:27
    when i connect using aol it uses up so much memory. Is there a way to connect online without loading up the browser
    ?
    No, there isn't a way to connect to AOL without using their software. You can't read AOL email with anything else either AFAIK.
    You can connect using their software, then minimise it and use the proper IE (or anything you fancy) though.
    If you want to be rid of their software, use the uninstall feature then either find/read the AOL install log (in the Windows directory, I think) and manually remove anything left behind or phone their free helpline and complain the uninstall didn't work and you want to remove every trace.
    Do this before you cancel the service though, as afterward you won't get free help.

It's easy for many people in here to trash AOL but I always recommend it to people getting their first computer because the help system is comprehensive and the helpline is free, which means I don't get bugged about stupid things like where emails go when they've been read.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I think you can just use AOL nunber/Username/Password in dial up networking. Just make a new network connection.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@15 February 2004 - 14:12
    I think you can just use AOL nunber/Username/Password in dial up networking. Just make a new network connection.
    You cant do that with aol unless you use a slip connection, and slip connections are outdated and speeds drop to like 30k. Ppp connections are only allowed by the use of their software which is one the reasons they suck because you can only connect to aol with windows.

Most other isp's allow you to just specifiy a username and password and access number and you can connect however you want.

@Smurfette -- You can read aol email by going to aol.com and logging in and using web based mail I think.

There is no need to fire up that memory hogging beast just to check your email and log right back off

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Originally posted by Smurfette@15 February 2004 - 18:22
    You can't read AOL email with anything else either AFAIK.
    Wrong.

You can access your AOL Email from IE, by simply visiting AOL and typing in your username and password.

As for connecting to the Internet without using the AOL software, I believe it is possible but very difficult. I myself used AOL many years ago when I had my BT line disconnected and got NTL (Cable TV & Telephone Service). It wasn't until NTL launched broadband that I switched. AOL use specific .dll's whilst connecting to ensure that you don't just insert the appropriate telephone number in 'New Connection' and away you go. Keep searching... I believe the solution is out there somewhere.

Samurai

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast