Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humans

Poster
    What about the FA Cup (no mention of England or English there), we call our premier knock-out trophy the Scottish Cup.

What about The Open, which is I believe what the British Open (golf) is known as.

I have no problem with it being called the World series. It's just a name.

Oh and the first post in reply was not just about the name, it was primarily about the commerciality.

It would have been nice to have stayed on the positive note for longer than 0 posts.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 October 2003 - 11:36
    Nice uplifting post hobbes.

Such a pity it degenerated into negativity and obvious, petty bickering so quickly.

So many half empty glasses, it is rather depressing.

It makes one feel very futilistic.
    Thats twice I've seen you use the word "futilistic" in replies this morning JPaul
    (rushing to a dictionary). Or are you a spy and this is some kind of message...
    but I'm getting off topic. Nevermind.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

3. Lounge   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by hobbes@26 October 2003 - 04:10
    I love to see black men and white men, embracing each other
    Each to their own.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Thanks for that JPaul.

In the future, the World Series will be renamed "The Universe Series", Earth will renamed "The United States and those other countries" and we will all greet each other with the corporate slogan of the day.

-"Hi Bob, Just do it!"
    -"Oh hey Steve, have a Coke and a smile". No seriously I mean it, drink a friggin' Coke! If you don't they will take my wife away again"
    -"Fine, but you had better get busy doin' it!"
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    (Sparsely) did make some very valid points

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Originally posted by exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
    Poor little boy got lost in the literal interpretation of the words and missed the concept altogether.

The post was about any event, anywhere, where people come together to accomplish a common goal. A human bond forms and things like color, ethnicity, and religion become irrelevant. This is what we as people should strive for, the single greatest goal we can have. All this totally missed.

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely's post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it's cover.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
    Not arguing with that old bean.

It would just have been nice for the positive feeling to have been allowed for a few minutes.

Rather than cynicism throttling it at birth. The forum is becoming futilistic in it's very soul.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by hobbes+26 October 2003 - 17:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 26 October 2003 - 17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-exeus@26 October 2003 - 17:58
    Poor little boy got lost in the literal interpretation of the words and missed the concept altogether.

The post was about any event, anywhere, where people come together to accomplish a common goal. A human bond forms and things like color, ethnicity, and religion become irrelevant. This is what we as people should strive for, the single greatest goal we can have. All this totally missed.

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely&#39;s post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it&#39;s cover. [/b][/quote]
    yeah but remember the common goal is beat everyone else.

sorry

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Originally posted by TheDave+26 October 2003 - 18:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheDave &#064; 26 October 2003 - 18:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by hobbes@26 October 2003 - 17:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-exeus
    @26 October 2003 - 17:58

Concrete people do not do well with abstract ideas. Sparsely&#39;s post rings of adolescence and sour grapes. His comments are as relevant to the meaning of the post as not liking a book because of it&#39;s cover.
    yeah but remember the common goal is beat everyone else.
    sorry [/b][/quote]

Again, sports is just an example. Defeating another in a sport is fine because no one gets hurt or dies.. The victor receives a trophy which has no value, it is the process of achieving the trophy which brings the rewards.

Sports are people getting excited over absolutely nothing. Sports are a great societal luxury. If we were starving, imprisoned, or under attack do you think anyone would give a rats ass over a baseball game or soccer match? These things would be revealed as the meaningless diversions they are.

My post was broader than that. It can be people coming together to build a house, construct a dam of sandbags to save a town from flooding, or simply having 50,000 thousand voices come together as one singing any national anthem.

Fly little birds, fly.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Man, I can hear the fat popping&#33;

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast