Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Defense In Riaa Lawsuits?

I had a great idea, Yall let me know what you think. Ok, The RIAA is really cracking down on this file (mp3) sharing thing, right? Here is the deal, The people that have mp3's on there computer are not "illegal", due to the fact that they probably purchased the cd and converted the .wav files to mp3 format, so they can use them in the mp3 player etc.... The RIAA is pissed at the people sharing there music with others that have not "purchased" it. Ok, what if there was a worm (virus) that was created by someone, that when it infected someones computer it searched there entire harddrive for mp3's and then connected to p2p software, and shared the files without the owner of the computer knowing. Then would that not be a huge loophole for the defense? I mean the owner did nothing at all wrong, other than catch a worm (virus) somewhere off the internet. If alot of people started creating worms such as this (or whatever it would be considered) and flooded the internet with them just as they do viruses that would be great for P2P runners. Even if he or she didnt have the worm, it would still be a defense to the owner of the internet connection. NOT THAT THIS SHOULD BE DONE BY ANYONE, BUT IT WAS JUST A THOUGHT. I wonder if there is already something out there like this.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Well, worms and viruses are a bad thing and I don't think people would choose to download a worm to their computer just for protection against the Really Idiotic Annoying A-Holes (RIAA). The bad IP blocker, blocking of others from viewing your shared files, disabling port 1214, Peer Guardian, etc, seem to be good enough protection right now to most people (although it's not 100% protection obviously)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    in the eyes of the law ignorance is no excuse,
    also i know for a fact a person is responsible for the actions of their computer....
    whether they know what it is doing or not is not the point
    the point is it is their computer and legally they are in charge/responsible for it

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    just like i said "even if he or she didnt have the worm, it would still be a defense to the owner of the internet connection" the point of the matter is, if there was a worm out there like this it would throw a total kink in all this lawsuit crap. This is one worm that could be totally benifical to p2p groups. "JUST AS LONG AS IT EXIST".

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    so does the my speedo musta been broken, work in court for a speeding fine? or is it your responsability to make sure your car is road worthy?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I quote from exeus "i know for a fact a person is responsible for the actions of their computer....whether they know what it is doing or not is not the point" if this is the case then why would the individuals that unknowingly transmit worms or viruses though email not be responsible?? huh? And dont say they are. because they are not. they simply go after the person that created the worm or virus. If this was the case then probably half of us would be in a constant lawsuit........ and no exeus. use some brains here. you knew your speedometer was broke, did you not? it is a little difference. I do see what you are saying and agree with it alittle bit. but still think this would throw them for a loop, atleast for a little while.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    not all laws are acted upon it comes down to discretion of the person in charge of working for the law.
    what i am trying to say if you are in court saying it wasnt me it was the worm you wont get to far...

EDIT: have you ever had any deallings with Government Depts etc over computer security related issues?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    No, I am not.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Case Closed!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Owell, I disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast