Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tracker/Site Startup

I may be able to help, just one question though what will the content of the tracker be? If it's just another 0day I have little interest if it has a unique idea behind it I would be more willing to help.
    My sig, back to being better than anon-sbi's.

O and if anyone has FTN invite and just don't know what to do with it give it to me

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Lots of questions to answer. In no particular order;

Please prove you have a from the ground up tracker.
    Well, it's kind of hard to prove without showing you the code, and for the time being we want to keep it closed.

Don't you need a top-notch "server" computer so that you can handle any of the website processes, in addition to a large hard drive, possibly about a couple of Terabytes, maybe even more, for the torrents themselves.
    Not really, trackers just allow users to communicate between each other. The data transferred is minimal. Lots of memory is more valuable because you want to keep your seed/peer list in a binary tree. Or some other kind of fast access data structure.

just out of pure curiosity, why have you chosen to write a tracker from the grounds up and not use the tbdev/gazelle templates? Which programming languages have you used to do so?
    We decided to write everything from the ground up because we were not pleased with the codebase that tbdev or gazelle offered. We also wanted a more object oriented approach, making it much easier to add new features, etc.

We have opted to use a PHP frontend powered by 2 levels of caching (local, and memcached). With the ability to use an abstract database technology, we currently run on Oracle. Our tracker is written with C with Non-blocking I/O.

If you want a piece of advice from someone who have been around a bit and knows the sort of people who roam these forums, you would be better off looking for staffers and especially people who are proficient in coding/styling a tracker elsewhere.
    Logistics is more of a concern to us at the moment then programming. We have a decent stylesheet and 2 programmers that have been working on the software for a little while now. We are mostly looking for people who can contribute to the growth of the website (seeders, etc..) and suggest new features.

May I ask who exactly are the "we" you were referring to, and what experience do you and your current staff have in coding/staffing a tracker?
    We have 2 programmers working on the website. At the moment the website and tracker are completely functional. The programming aspect we have a lot of experience in, staffing the site is the hole we are looking to fill.

And I'd assume further they just took one of the more obscure codebases and modified it.
    No, the complete codebase was written from scratch.

I may be able to help, just one question though what will the content of the tracker be? If it's just another 0day I have little interest if it has a unique idea behind it I would be more willing to help.
    Right, we are looking for people to come up with some creative ideas to make the site unique, which our programmers will implement.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    and what the name of the tracker will be ??

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    If you want short-term help, as in start-up help, how to go about it, ideas, what to do, connections to certain people (with certain skills) you might need, what works and what doesn't in the torrent world etc. I'd be more than willing to help you. You have to know, though, I'm code-blind (doctors continue to tell me that I won't always be this way), so don't expect me to know what's possible or not right off the bat based from the code you've written.

Again, I'll echo my last message here. Provide me a different way of communicating with you. I'm not going to start talking about tracker start-ups on a public forum.
    Ellipses go here.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Sure you can email me, thevoidz AT live DOT com
    Last edited by TheVoidz; 04-21-2010 at 04:23 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    if its gazelle .. stoi wrote it ... yea yea yea yea

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    BobFromAccounting's Avatar Is it Friday yet?
    Recruiting staff on a public forum, that's going to turn out well >.<

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVoidz View Post
    Right, we are looking for people to come up with some creative ideas to make the site unique, which our programmers will implement.
    So you've gone through all this trouble to create a new tracker, but have no idea what purpose (content) it will have?
    That makes sense

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVoidz View Post
    So you've gone through all this trouble to create a new tracker, but have no idea what purpose (content) it will have?
    That makes sense
    We have a general idea. We just are looking for people who are more familiar with private trackers in general.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Still looking for some people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast