Thread: Os's

Poster
    ok i got the installation discs for mandrake linux 9.2 and i dont really know how to install it sooooo ya it would probably help if i had like a little step by step guide my cousin said i need to like defrag it and do scan disc and all this stuff but i sortof forgot it so i need a lil bit of help and my cousin has this little selecter thing that appears on start up where you pick windows xp, linux, etc... and thats all i guess

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    use a program like partition magic in Windows, to create some empty space on the hard drive for Linux. with a desktop-oriented Linux version like Mandrake, you should be able to boot from the Mandrake CD and then it will have a fairly self-explanatory installation process that lets you partition the empty space and select which programs you want to install. at the end of the installation process it will ask you if you want to install the boot menu that lets you choose between Windows or Mandrake.

before you use Partition Magic, you should run an error check to make sure that your hard drive is in good condition & it can safely handle a repartitioning. it's also not a bad idea to back up your important files on CD-R.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    • Restart your PC
    • Press Delete before the boot screan
    • Go into "start up options"
    • Make sure your CD-ROM is the 1st in the "boot" order
    • Exit and save
    • Insert the CD1, of Linux
    • It will boot
    • Install
    • Enjoy

B) B) B)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    well that helps but when i put the disc in the drive it asks me if i want to install mandrake 9.2 or install mandrake 9.2 to a floppy and sooo idk what one i should choose...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    install mandrake 9.2 to a floppy
    WTF?????

you want the first one.
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont