Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Psu

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    the fan in my PSU has become noisy suddenly, can i just open it up and lubricate it?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    the bearings or something may have went. or may just be clogged upw itjh dust, try puttinh a hover tube to the back to clean it a bit, id watch if u open up the actual psu as the are capacitors in it that stay charged for a whoile i think, so make sure its been switched off for a while if u do open it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Although I have never tried to "oil" a fan, my initial reaction would be no, you can't.

Fans are cheap, why not just replace it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    oh yeah, forgot hat bit, oil+ electricty, plus humans, prob aint to good either.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Livy,

A lot of electrical components are designed to be lubricated periodically, think electrical motors on power saws, for instance. The case fans that I've seen are not ( I am assuming that the fans in a PSU are similar , if not identical to a case fan).

If it's a sleeve bearing fan then the sleeve has probably worn so much by the time that you hear it, it's already toast.
    If it's a ball bearing fan then you maybe could work on it, but why bother?

Spend the $10 and get a new fan, or maybe just upgrade the whole PSU.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i know, but if u put to much oil and and it seeps out into the psu and covers some componets and shorts them, it may not be so good,

and the motors on things, will have been designed to be lubricated, where as a psu fan will not be been designed to.

as u say, heb be better getting a new fan. or a new psu if u need more power?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Oil won't cause a short. But forget about that anyway. If your powersupply is still under warranty the get it replaced. If not then just open it up and replace the fan. Simple job.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    is it worth buying a whole new PSU or should i just replace the fan (can you link to a good guide by the way)?

my PSU is kinda a relic, the one that came with my current machine exploded, so i just took the one from my old, old, old, old 486 machine - but it works fine, apart from that drilling noise its pumping out
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    just replace your PSU mate, they dont cost to much

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@27 October 2003 - 20:25
    is it worth buying a whole new PSU or should i just replace the fan (can you link to a good guide by the way)?

my PSU is kinda a relic, the one that came with my current machine exploded, so i just took the one from my old, old, old, old 486 machine - but it works fine, apart from that drilling noise its pumping out
    go here mate Novatech uk i get all my new stuff here and they great

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast