Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling:your Opinions

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Okay poeple this is my question:

I am wanting to get a fairly quite sys, but that is not a life/death issue, I am however wanting to cool effiecently, and i want to have the opinions stated of those "in the know" or are operating water cooling systems what is better, low Gallons Per Hour or high GPH, i understand that radiaters are always key no mater what to disapate heat, but i want to hear what works best on the pump end... Also what brand type etc... I thank all that respond!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    water cooling is prolly the best thing to cool your pc, but since ur a n00b, i wouldnt recommend it, b/c if a hose leaks, ur pc is gone....id spend a lil money and get some silent fans...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    yea, since ur new ( i prefer to use kinder terms if i have no grudge) u shouldn't do this. unless ur goin to oc heavily, then theres no point. and u might set it up wrong, and by by pc, and possbily big ass explosion. so, unless u know wat ur doin, don't go near wc

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I disagree.

I've seen several water systems that look pretty foolproof and if your main goal is a silent PC then watercooling looks like a viable method.

If you are planning on radically overclocking then a Peltier setup, or even a combo Peltier/H2O system would be the best choice.

Just do some Googlework and check out the options.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    i am not new to water cooling guys, and i have made 5 pcs now that use them, but i don't have the money to go and expirament each different combo to see whats best...
    I am runing a 6 gph witha a dangerden twinfan radiater, (which i put inside a minifreezer, in a tub a water, that turned into ice) I run my 2500 at 3000+ well below 0 degrees anything...

I have done a little on google, i guess i was hoping for a water cooling guru to appear from the heavens(this forumk) and have a ll the anwers and infinite wisdom... ohh well thanks!!!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    If you get the watercooling and don't understand it, then im sure you could take it to a local shop and have them do it. Watercooling seems good to me.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by SciManAl@27 October 2003 - 18:01
    i am not new to water cooling guys, and i have made 5 pcs now that use them
    i think somebody owes you an apology for calling you a "n00b."

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    im sorry

allthough i wouldnt mind watercooling kit under the xmas tree this year.... B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    muchspl2
    <- wishes he was a water cooling guru
    just been afraid, but ill look into it for my next build

any good links for non baptiste computer builders googled came up with plenty, just asking, thanks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SciManAl@27 October 2003 - 19:26

low Gallons Per Hour or high GPH, i understand that radiaters are always key no mater what to disapate heat, but i want to hear what works best on the pump end... Also what brand type etc... I thank all that respond&#33;
    Few things here. (Yes, I know about watercooling).

-You want a pump with a high GPH, simply because its able to circulate the water more, and usually, higher GPH also goes with a further vertical push its able to push the water through, for instance, you wouldnt want a pump that can only push water 1 foot upward, reguardless of how many GPH its listing.

-For the silent thing, remember that alot of radiators have fans on them, usually 120MM ones, because they help dissipate the heat in them, so that fan will always create some noise, but it all depends on where you place your radiator.

-To improve performance a bit, if it works out to your advantage apperance wise, be sure to place the radiator above your CPU block, and all your other waterblocks in the setup for that matter, because if the radiator is above the blocks, convection currents will help pull the hot water upwards into the radiator, keeping the cooler water at the bottom of you system for use in your blocks.

-Add to your water for help wise,
    --Dish detergant- to reduce the surface tension of the water, and help reduce bubbles that could form.
    --Clothes detergant, (Tide, Gain, etc.) to reduce the buildup of harmful bacteria that will creep into even the most closed of systems. About one little cup ful that comes with the box will do for months, just make sure its not going to corrode your CPU block, or other blocks, (Copper stands up well to corrosion.)

As for the water to use, there are various reasonings on this, and even watter additives, (water wetter) to increase performance, but just rememer to boil your water before hand, to remove inpurities and bacteria at the very list if you are just going to use tap water.

Oh yeah, and as somebody stated, they do have &#39;n00b proof" kits these days, that are simple to install, and have small chances of leaking.

Any other questions?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast