Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GFT also having issues w/ Paypal

nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Sad news on the front page. GFT also has issues with its Paypal account, so more donations needed to keep the site alive.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Might as well just copy and paste the FTN R.I.P thread in here and change a few of the names about... will save all the usual bullshit from flying around
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    tippertime's Avatar Your E-Stalker BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    has paypal always been doing this? seems like I have only been hearing about them doing this as of lately?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Burnsy's Avatar TorrentSeed.org RIP BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tippertime View Post
    has paypal always been doing this? seems like I have only been hearing about them doing this as of lately?
    From what I understand they don't necessarily target torrent sites directly, although they don't particularly want to be associated with them either. The main reason trackers have been coming to the fore and being targeted recently, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is due to the high number of disputes put into paypal linked with the accounts used by the trackers.

A lot of these disputes, although not entirely limited to, come from traders donating to get invites, getting the invites then 'claiming' their money back from paypal...

I know this is gonna open up a huge can of worms again... "Traders are scum of the earth" Vs "Trackers shouldn't offer invites for donations"... but who cares...

As far as I understand it, that's what the recent problems have been caused by...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'd comment further but it would obviously be like trying to reason with a dung beetle.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Burnsy is correct with his comment.
    Alot of it is traders/sellers who get caught after donations for an invite.
    After you get too many disputes within a short period of time the account gets flagged and paypal tries to investigate why there are so many disputes going on.
    Also from what I have been told there's alot of users from countries that are not supported in paypal using paypal to make donations. When they are found to be using paypal from these countries Paypal has been investigating where they are sending the money to as well.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippertime View Post
    From what I understand they don't necessarily target torrent sites directly, although they don't particularly want to be associated with them either. The main reason trackers have been coming to the fore and being targeted recently, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is due to the high number of disputes put into paypal linked with the accounts used by the trackers.

A lot of these disputes, although not entirely limited to, come from traders donating to get invites, getting the invites then 'claiming' their money back from paypal...

I know this is gonna open up a huge can of worms again... "Traders are scum of the earth" Vs "Trackers shouldn't offer invites for donations"... but who cares...

As far as I understand it, that's what the recent problems have been caused by...
    You're correct, GFT news says that the high amount of disputes could possibly caused this.

Edit: ftn had also lot of disputes by traders?
    Last edited by nthpeter; 05-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    THEBAR's Avatar Member
    GFT says they may not make it to next year.
    Other than paypal, what else is available for trackers to use?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    So I'm wondering if the disputes are related to the donation percentage getting frozen in the 90-ish range over the past couple months, or maybe they're just sandbagging for more donations...
    I'm sure they have more money than they claim.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post

I had no idea that anything like that was even happening.

Seriously it never ceases to amaze me the depths to which some people will plunge.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    If it does die, it'll be very unfortunate. I'm sure a lot of people, including me, will miss it. However, "ah well."
    Ellipses go here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast