Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GFT also having issues w/ Paypal

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbeebops View Post
    If someone donates with a stolen PayPal account or credit card, PayPal will screw the tracker even harder.
    That makes no f... sense, there is no way the tracker can control if the account is stolen or not. Paypal should go against the perpetrator, and not against the tracker. Its like thieves going to rob a bank and the police would detain the bank workers and not the thieves.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by McArty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbeebops View Post
    If someone donates with a stolen PayPal account or credit card, PayPal will screw the tracker even harder.
    That makes no f... sense, there is no way the tracker can control if the account is stolen or not. Paypal should go against the perpetrator, and not against the tracker. Its like thieves going to rob a bank and the police would detain the bank workers and not the thieves.
    PayPal doesn't need a valid reason. They just freeze the account and put it under "investigation" and you can't move money in or out for months...

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    I think if the torrent site does it through a third party site that looks legit, and is totally unrelated (like a 'donation site' for something else or some sort of legit looking online ebook store or something) then there's a lot of protection against this.

Because the user can't prove that it's linked to the torrent site they're complaining about and there's no proof that paypal can find of it either.

Demonoid do this (did? can't see donate button anymore), and definitely others, can't remember which ones though.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Easily the worst heist artist on these boards.

I'll use the same analogy, except, I'll change it around a bit. It's like a bunch of thieves that go rob a bank (in this case a paypal account), then move/store all the money in another bank account (which by sane assumptions has to be theirs').

If money is stolen and put it into another account, the second account has to be frozen, as it could be a simple account to collect the stolen money.

Paypal has no option but to freeze the account the money is sent to, regardless of any good reputation.
    Ellipses go here.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    Easily the worst heist artist on these boards.

I'll use the same analogy, except, I'll change it around a bit. It's like a bunch of thieves that go rob a bank (in this case a paypal account), then move/store all the money in another bank account (which by sane assumptions has to be theirs').

If money is stolen and put it into another account, the second account has to be frozen, as it could be a simple account to collect the stolen money.

Paypal has no option but to freeze the account the money is sent to, regardless of any good reputation.
    So, if i steal a paypal account and send the money to you (your paypal account), they would freeze your account? There is no logic in that. Maybe reverse the fake transaction, and go against me if they can find me...

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    They have to freeze my account if you did so. Tell me this: You just hacked a bank account, where would you route the wire transfer to?

Honestly, it's not a hard concept to understand. They will freeze my account because, simply, they have no idea if (in this case) my account is an accomplice or not.
    Ellipses go here.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    They have to freeze my account if you did so. Tell me this: You just hacked a bank account, where would you route the wire transfer to?

Honestly, it's not a hard concept to understand. They will freeze my account because, simply, they have no idea if (in this case) my account is an accomplice or not.
    Right, then i hack an account, send money to buy something to amazon; next step, they freeze amazons account.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    If anonymous money transactions via internet were possible, Switzerland would be broke.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Right, then i hack an account, send money to buy something to amazon; next step, they freeze amazons account.
    Pretty much why Amazon doesn't deal with paypal, isn't it? Look you can keep trying to make me look like an idiot all day long, or you could just admit you're wrong about your theory and move on.
    Ellipses go here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast