Thread: Installing New Mobo

(>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Hi folks,

I&#39;m gonna be installing a new mobo (very ) soon and I am looking for a bit of help. I haven&#39;t done this before but I think I know the mechanics of it all but I wasn&#39;t too sure if it was simply a case of installing the chip from my old mobo etc and away you go or if I have to do something else. Will I need to do anything like installing windows again, drivers etc, they are all already in place in my current set up.? If anyone has any help to offer it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Z

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    As you have said know the mechanics just take the board out swap all the item&#39;s from one to another and bob&#39;s your uncle.
    Take it the cpu is the same for the new board ie intel or amd ?
    On first turn on go into the bios (cmos) and set things up (in the manual).
    On entering Windows if will find new hardware ie chipset sound if differnt (on board) etc just let it carry on and thats it.
    The only single problem you could have is if the old board for some reason finds the harddrive at a lower or higher rate than the new one.If its lower not a problem scandisk will normanly sort it out if it is higher you could end up having to format it because of crosslinking files.
    DON&#39;T be scared this board is always here to help you out but I back get anything out like Doc&#39;s etc before hand.

You can also look at :-Pinned: Want To Build Your Own Computer? above this .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Het cwctv, thanks for the help

I had a look at the pinned topic and have read up on the bits and bobs, Tom&#39;s Hardware guides, reviews of the mobo etc. I was fairly confident I was ok with the whole thing but wanted to check there weren&#39;t any hidden things I hadn&#39;t thought about before I go offline. ?The mobo apparently auto detects the correct settings so I may not have to do the bios stuff, I&#39;ll check the manual when it arrives. The chip matches the board ok and the hard drive&#39;s should be ok I think they are fairly run of the mill. Thanks again for the help, I&#39;ll get your uncle bob a pint the next time I see him

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I&#39;ll get your uncle bob a pint the next time I see him
    Sorry he died great bloke too

What Windows you got can you get to Dos with a bootdisc ?

If you can do it then check the h/drive in fdisk to see its size now before you swop out THEN and only then if you have a problem it could be that.

Out of well can&#39;t recall really I have had about two problems thats all both where the drive because the board was really old like 2 years back its down to the bios normally. Have fun now.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I&#39;ll get your uncle bob a pint the next time I see him

you said &#39; bob&#39;s your uncle&#39; etc.....geddit...oh never mind I&#39;ll get my coat

I have xp and my current board is only about 1 - 1 1/2 years young

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I don&#39;t really see a problem my friend then just go ahead with it ,I just myself on Saturday last went from a P3 1000 to P4 2.4 and had no porblems at all wweee not it flies better.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok thanks again for the help pal

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Thats ok go get some rest then enjoy your day see you. B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@29 October 2003 - 02:05
    Will I need to do anything like installing windows again, drivers etc, they are all already in place in my current set up.?
    you might have to reinstall, or you might not. not reformat of course, but reinstall. if your new mobo has a chipset from the same brand (i.e. you&#39;re changing from a VIA board to another VIA board, or a Nvidia board to another Nvidia board), i think you&#39;ve got a better chance of not having to reinstall. but you might also need to reinstall if the motherboard uses a vastly different hard drive controller.

i wouldn&#39;t worry too much about it, though. change the motherboard, set your BIOS options, and boot up. if Windows is unable to boot properly, then reinstall. the biggest inconvenience would be that you&#39;ll have to download all the updates from microsoft.com again.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Plan on the worst and hope for the best.

Assume that you will have to reinstall Windows and take all the appropriate precautions (back up all your data) and if you luck out and Windows works, you&#39;re ahead of the game.

After you mount your new board ( use only a couple of screws at first) install your CPU and heatsink, memory and video card. Hook up the power and a monitor and confirm that your setup will POST. If yes, start adding the peripherals one at a time, testing to ensure that you can still post. If you are still good, finish the installation ( all the rest of the screws on the mobo) and proceed to your BIOS setup.

Chances are, you WILL have to reinstall Windows.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg