Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing A Dvd Rom

hi
    need a little help installin a dvd rom-ive connected the power and other grey cable to the device, now where do i plug the AUDIO cable to-is it to the cdrom drive or onto the motherboard?also are there any other cables that need to go into the back of the DVD ROM?

thanks for any help given

ace

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Audio needs to connected if you have two like I do or replace with the Cd audio cable,which ever way music sound will only come out of the drive(s) with cable on.
    This doesn't affect sound from Dvd's if thats what you wanted to know also if you have the means (like I do) connect the two pin audio up (digital) to the soundcard (m/board),what sound card do you have ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i have got a SB AUDIGY soundcard

my problem aint with sound though-the drive is working as it should be with opening /closing etc but it not play the dvds in the drive. noticed on the MB there isa slot that says ''CDINI'' but that didnt help? there is also a slot with 'AUDIO'' written below-should i put that audio lead in that slot~? i must sound like a complete arse here! anyway it seems i have plugged in everything i got with the dvd drive in the back ofit!

any other help?

thanks
    ace

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Ok first have you got a software dvd player on your machine like say PowerDVD
    this will at least test the dvd itsself.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    the audio cable is unnecessary. CD/DVD-Roms have a sort of hardware decoder built in, which can send the audio from audio-CDs (and no other disc types as far as i know-- not mp3 discs, DVDs, etc) to the sound card or the motherboard's sound input. it's an antiquated feature that drive manufacturers still insist on including, but it's essentially useless. you're better off just leaving the audio cable out, and using a software ("digital") audio-CD player-- it will take up a little bit of CPU power, but the sound quality is typically better.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hi mate
    yes i have POWERDVD installed on my PC

ive checked the drive using a DVD-R disk and also a genuine copy of 8 MILE on dvd and none work! the dvd drive buzzes for a little bit like it loading the cd but that just stops!

ive checked device manager and it says the drive is installed correctly and is working!??

on ''MY COMPUTER SCREEN'' i have DRIVE E AND F both saying they are dvd drives but when i try to open they say ''PLEASE INSERT DISK INTO DRIVE''

this is weird!

ace

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the DVD-R disc may not be compatible with your drive. DVD drives can be quite finicky in regards to which brands of recordable DVD discs they'll accept.

i'm not sure why it should have any trouble reading the 8 Mile retail disc, though. you should first concentrate on getting the drive to read pre-manufactured video discs, and then worry about getting it to read your DVD-Rs (as i've said, compatibility can be unpredictable).

the only suggestion i can think of so far is that your cables might not be connected firmly. if the IDE cable is connected properly, but the power cable is not, Windows may still recognize the drive but be unable to use it. so you might wanna check the cables and make sure you've pressed the connections in as far as they'll go.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Who server went down still yes I agree if need be disconnect the cd rom for now till the dvd is working plus in device manager make sure the drive as the tick in "DMA".
    Can it read a CD disc ok ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    something weird is happening now-if i press eject on the CDRW drive in my computer, both drives are ekecting? whats happening with that-have i cocked up?

thanks
    ace

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    does the fact that this DVD ROM is SCSI change anything?

in device manage it says

''AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CDROM DEVICE''

not sure if this makes any difference, but i thought id add it

thanks
    ace

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast