Thread: Zone Alarm

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    anyone ever have trouble with f/w after trying to reinstall?
    i'm using free version and after a system restore and reinstallation of ZA the true vector security monitor is not functioning and the dashboard tells me theres a system error and i need to reboot....
    any help/advice greatly appreciated (i'm just about running bare a$$ on the net right now cause the damn thing isnt working, still got the windows f/w, but would like to have ZA up and running also) so is there something i can do with it, or am i gonna need to d/l another?
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    do u use multiple firewalls or an anti virus that's also a firewall (trend micro)?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    have you tried uninstall reboot install

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I had similar problem with sygate's. normally whenever I uninstall any program I go to their site and reserach to see if they have a process of CLEAN UNINSTALL. the reason being is most programs these day, leave data in the registry and hd for future purposes.

So, check their site, visit their forum or other forum relating to ZA and look for CLEAN INSTALL or CLEAN UNINSTALL processes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i do use multi f/w's if you count the windows f/w, and i ran a reg cleaner and temp cleaner to make sure all components were gone, then tried reinstall, tried cleaning>reboot>reinstall, could it be that it just didnt back up to disc correctly? used record now to back up, it claimed the proceedure went ok

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    have you done the whole uninstall reinstall thing with the windows firewall off?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sh*t, ive done about all i could think of, even about all zone labs could think of (they have a pretty cool help section at website i guess, but its freakin automated! the tip they gave for fixin corruption on the true vector service didnt work) now im startin to worry, i even went and re-d/l'd the f/w and the same messages came up....
    gonna do a virus scan here in a minute, so i'll check out ZA later, but thanks evry1

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    First I think it's a mistake to run the M$ fw. Just get Sygate or Kerio or Tiny. They all have free versions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    um...think i d/l'd sygate and kerio, kerio at least cause i was using it before ZA, and i have no beef with going back to kerio, there doesnt seem to be much of a difference between kerio and ZA, except maybe ZA bein a little more noobie friendly (well, until now ) it just bugs the sh*t outta me when something quits working and there doesnt seem to be a logical explanation (of course it could be something simple i've overlooked, but dont think so, cause i went to ZA's help and gave em specifics on my prob and their fix didnt do the trick)
    and the ms firewall dont look too bad now that i've toyed with it a little, but they're always needing fixes and updates to their software, why would i think their f/w would be any different think the only thing i havent done is run scandisc to check for errors in windows that may be contibuting to the problem, guess thats next...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ok, now i remember why i uninstalled kerio, it freezes IE after a while (seems to be usually after i go to k++...wtf?) even with filter rules in place to allow...
    cant browse at all, not even home page, have to totally uninstall and clean system (files, reg entries, etc.) then reboot, then browser works again.....
    anyone remember how to get to 'last known good recovery' in XP? i got there before to restore to, say, two days earlier, but the last time i tried going there i accidently did a full restore to factory shipped status, tried finding that option yesterday, but cheesed up cause dont want the same thing to happen again
    (would like to know cause maybe i can roll system back to see if maybe then i can get ZA goin again)