Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing A Printer

Does anyone know how to share a printer if you are networked with broadband to a computer upstairs. Me and my brother have computer both connected on a router, but we want to know how to share a printer? I know you don't need a printer cable you just need to have the network internet cable connected, but me and him dont' know how to do it. Should he do it from his computer or mine? He has XP i have 2000 thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    (XP) Whoever is connected to the printer, you must open "Printers & Faxes" under the control panel. Then right-click on the installed printer and click on the sharing tab and enable sharing. If different operating systems are being used, you may need to install additional drivers.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    If both the computers are already in the network(connected to a router), you need to enable File & Printer sharing. Then add the printer in the second computer by just going through Add Printer> network printer > Connect to this printer >>
    Name: <Give the computer name of the other computer like if the name was ComputerName then &#092;&#092;ComputerName. It will allow you to browse and then just select the printer and add it.

I am not sure but you both might need to set up a "Home or small office network" with the same network name. Default is MSHome so if you just run a default on both computers that should do it.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    nevermind I. am has told u how to configure it.

I. am you were very quick lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Catracho@30 October 2003 - 16:39
    nevermind I. am has told u how to configure it.

I. am you were very quick&nbsp; lol
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    how do i find out?

&#092;&#092;printserver_name&#092;share_name

also do i need to have the printer installation things on my computer or no?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I tried doing something my friend told me, which was go to my brothers computer upstairs, right click the printer and click sharing and click share and type in a name, but when i tried to apply it it says operation something could not be saved. Why is that?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bump

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    it says "Printer Settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed" Why does it say this?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    On one computer (your brother&#39;s) you have enable print and file sharing like you said.
    On the other computer you have to follow the steps i wrote. You have to give his computer name &#092;&#092;network computer name ....which you can check by pressing the
    windows key + pause/break. Properties will pop up then press the tab that says COMPUTER NAME and in the bottom it says to change the domain/computer name. Check there to see the name. It should also say that in the same window under description.
    hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast