Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Private Torrent Tracker Script?

AvailableName's Avatar Poster
    What is the best available (free or paid) torrent tracker script to start a private tracker? I have looked at xbtit and gazelle and they both seem to offer a lot but can't make a judgment on my limited knowledge.

I was looking for a script that can integrate Invision Power Board or vBulletin with the tracker. (Only these two specifically because of my circumstances.)
    Last edited by AvailableName; 05-30-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Added

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Depends how you want to do it really.

BCG`s style, you have tracker/forum bridged together.

PotUK style, you have forums, then members upload the torrents as attachments and you never see the tracker itself.

for BCGs http://www.tbdev.net/index.php?showt...=invision&st=0

for PotUK style there is http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/ipb2_mod/ but there are a few more that do that.

If you are really good at coding, any source will do, if you are not, then tbdev will probably be your best bet (as long as you secure it).

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    If you are really good at coding, any source will do, if you are not, then tbdev will probably be your best bet (as long as you secure it).
    To secure it you need to be able to code. :p

Go with one of the many torrent web apps on sourceforge.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yes you need to be able to code, but you dont need to be a god at coding to do it.

Installing IPB onto gazelle, christ even changing Gazelle from a music tracker takes a long time and a lot of coding, and its not for a beginner.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    yes you need to be able to code, but you dont need to be a god at coding to do it.

Installing IPB onto gazelle, christ even changing Gazelle from a music tracker takes a long time and a lot of coding, and its not for a beginner.
    Knowing what are security holes isn't for beginner ethier.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    whatever cant be arsed to argue with someone that just runs a shitty blog, taking the piss out of trackers.

btw xervecom you said you wouldnt trust, what little you know, they are the best hosts i have had in 7 years, but whatever, you know best. (or at least you think you do).
    Last edited by stoi; 05-30-2010 at 09:56 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    whatever cant be arsed to argue with someone that just runs a shitty blog, taking the piss out of trackers.

btw xervecom you said you wouldnt trust, what little you know, they are the best hosts i have had in 7 years, but whatever, you know best. (or at least you think you do).
    LOL at the just, actually LOL at your attempt to hide the fact you were wrong to suggest TBDev for beginner coders. Shame on you for suggesting it in the first place.

Also I said I wouldn't rely on them, not that I don't trust them or that they suck. To be honest I don't rely on resellers which is what they are.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    look.

any PHP/MYSQl book/Vid worth its salt (so thats 99.9% of them) will have a whole chapter about securing code, read that, get the tracker, secure it, its not that hard if you have the resources to fall back on.

Linking any tracker with IPB which it is not designed to do, will take a semi experienced coder to do. Same as changing gazelle from a music tracker to whatever type of tracker he wants, no book is going to teach you that in 1 chapter, you have to know how to code to do that.

There is nowt wrong with TBdev, and tbh it will take less work to secure TBdev than it will to change gazelle from the music tracker it is designed to be.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Look.

Security is a whole speciality in itself. Professional PHP developers are constantly creating insecure PHP applications. I've just checked the two PHP books I have as hard copies, Professional PHP 6 and PHP Objects, Patterns and practice both good books, written by highly respected developers. Neither have a chapter about PHP security. Why? Because it needs a book of it's own. Pro PHP Security by apress is like 600 pages long. Essential PHP Security by O'Reilly is 125 or so pages long. A single chapter in a beginners PHP book (which generally teaches bad habits) isn't going to help properly secure a PHP application.

You seem to be forgetting PHP torrent management systems that are on sourceforge.net, a quick search has came up with a vBulletin system, phpMyBitTorrrent (which has 22 thumbs up and comes with a phpbb mod) and various other systems. Then there is the template share or whatever it is system.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Whatever at the end of the day its up the the OP what he picks, what is used more TBdev/Gazelle if he wants to go with a unkown source or even worse, have to pay for one, then thats entirely up to him, he was asking for advice i gave him advice, if he doesnt want to take that advice and would rather use yours, then fine by me, but arguing about it wont help him.

you are still a fucking idiot though.

PS: it doesnt have to be NSA protection, its just to stop script kiddies doing anything, and if people can hack into the NSA then what chance have trackers got to be totally secure, it wont ever happen i am afraid, if someone is good enough, then its easy enough. and there will always be someone good enough, it just depends if they want to go after you or not.
    Last edited by stoi; 05-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast