5 6.58%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TBDev vs Gazelle

Long John Silver

Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buggyfresh View Post
    xbtit

Support looks great, oh it is if you pay for the privilage. feck that.

http://www.xbtit.com/registration/
    heh true, but it is pretty secure from what i hear & have seen...i put it forth as "other"

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    PackMeIn Staff
    I've worked with both so here's what I'll say. They clearly both have their ups and downs, but I like tbdev more (we use TBDev with an XBTT backend at PiN).

TBDev is easier to work with quickly because there isn't much to it. ...But it's a mess. A huge mess. It takes a lot of dedication to clean it up into something good. A nice thing is that there is much more support for TBDev than for gazelle and many little addons that are pretty neat. It is also fairly simple to create your own addons.

Gazelle is much more organized than TBDev, but in a really weird, almost mazelike way. Every file redirects to another, so that it takes a long time to get used to the code. I used to think that good themes had to be impossible with gazelle because all the most beautiful sites use TBDev, but that is not the case. The design is very versatile, but not very easy to work with. Cool things can be done with if you're good enough.

It all comes down to preference. They're both very different. I'm hoping that someone can come out with a third source with the best of both worlds.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    TBDEV is better

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post
    Well, there must be a reason why most sites are moving from TBDev to Gazelle and not vice versa.
    I would imagine the reason is most sites doing the moving were using TBDev before Gazelle was released, hence only one way to go (or not). What's your point again?

Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    From a programers perspective they are both a nightmare to work on
    That's subjective. One could argue that they're both extremely easy to work on if you're a skillful coder.

As for the original question, the Gazelle source is probably written better than TBDev, but then TBDev has a huge library of available mods that are not available for Gazelle. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter which source you go with. The source provides only a framework, and well coded sites modify it to the extreme.
    Last edited by pro267; 06-02-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    If you are a skillful coder, you probably would take 1 look at TBdev and think, I am not working on that lol (and i mean the older TBdev no idea what the new 2009 version is like).

My old coder from a few years back, would not touch it (only to fix problems, but not to actually write new stuff for it) because he thought it was that bad, and he decided to write his own from scratch, but things happened and it never got finished and he left.

My newer coder, who has left as well (i dont have much luck lol) hated it as well and re-wrote most of it.

Code is only as good as the person/people who wrote/write it, if its crap its crap, doesnt matter how skillful the coder is thats working on it once its released to the public.

Now thats not to say that TBdev is a bag of shit, it does what it says on the tin, but it does need optomizing a lot to get the best out of it (the old one like i said, not looked at 2009 yet).

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    TBDEV 2009 is actually pretty good, but customizing it is a bitch.

I have having to use "$HTMLOUT" for every line of HTML...

It gets so annoying. They should use a template system like Smarty.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post
    TBDEV 2009 is actually pretty good, but customizing it is a bitch.

I have having to use "$HTMLOUT" for every line of HTML...

It gets so annoying. They should use a template system like Smarty.
    Problem is doing a good application design is just unknown for torrent systems. They read a beginning PHP book and think they know their shit.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    tbdev , hate gazelle

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by backie View Post
    Problem is doing a good application design is just unknown for torrent systems. They read a beginning PHP book and think they know their shit.
    What I don't understand is why they released the code with a ton of bugs in it. Sure, a good amount of them are fixed in TBDEV 2006, but the original coder of the source could have taken caution.

Little things like these can help save you from embarrassment in the future.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I hate gazelle. :|

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast