47 61.84%
  • gazelle

24 31.58%
  • other

5 6.58%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TBDev vs Gazelle

ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I never understood why so many non-coders hate Gazelle (well coders as well since TBDev is a convoluted piece of crap but that could be chalked up to experience). It's such a better organizational system for pretty much everything. The only place where it would be less necessary is for 0-day only sites, the "Artist Page", tags, and collage features make the organization of music, movies, and TV infinitely better.

Also while fewer mods are available for the code, that can be solved by having a coder who knows what they're doing rather than a "coder" that just sticks pre-made mods into vanilla TBDev. Gazelle also comes with things like the invite system and passkeys built in, so it's not like TBDev where you install it and you literally have a forum and a browse page. Gazelle comes with enough stuff in its basic form not to completely fail, so anyone who can actually work with the code can turn it into something great.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    I never understood why so many non-coders hate Gazelle (well coders as well since TBDev is a convoluted piece of crap but that could be chalked up to experience). It's such a better organizational system for pretty much everything. The only place where it would be less necessary is for 0-day only sites, the "Artist Page", tags, and collage features make the organization of music, movies, and TV infinitely better.

Also while fewer mods are available for the code, that can be solved by having a coder who knows what they're doing rather than a "coder" that just sticks pre-made mods into vanilla TBDev. Gazelle also comes with things like the invite system and passkeys built in, so it's not like TBDev where you install it and you literally have a forum and a browse page. Gazelle comes with enough stuff in its basic form not to completely fail, so anyone who can actually work with the code can turn it into something great.
    For you to set up gazelle you actually need to edit the code. It come's ready for you to run what.cd anything else you need to modify the core. Which is just sucks, never mind the fact it results in devs doing months of work when a new verison comes out, look at all the sites moving to rc 2 (rc my ass). Then there is using html inside php code. Template systems were created for a reason. Gazelle is good for what.cd but it needs serious work to be a proper release/package.

I also have a hate for working with 3rd party apps. Only plugin system I've liked so far has been wordpress's.
    Last edited by backie; 06-02-2010 at 09:37 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by backie View Post
    For you to set up gazelle you actually need to edit the code. It come's ready for you to run what.cd anything else you need to modify the core. Which is just sucks, never mind the fact it results in devs doing months of work when a new verison comes out, look at all the sites moving to rc 2 (rc my ass). Then there is using html inside php code. Template systems were created for a reason. Gazelle is good for what.cd but it needs serious work to be a proper release/package.

I also have a hate for working with 3rd party apps. Only plugin system I've liked so far has been wordpress's.
    I'd agree with you on most of that. The Gazelle releases are basically a snapshot of What's code minus some of the juicy features. It does take work to modify it to fit your db structure and to modify all of the references from What to your own site, but that does have the side effect of getting you more familiarized with the code itself (which is good due to its decentralized nature).

I'm hoping that their new style of release will prevent another big jump like that from RC1 to RC2. Let's face it, the RC1 code was from over a year ago and there was no possible way they could've made any sites running on RC1, especially after these sites modified it for their own purposes, to make the jump to RC2. With incremental builds that should be a bit less of an issue.

I highly doubt most of the naysayers in this thread are going to code gazelle sites though, which is what really confuses me. I've noticed a huge backlash towards Gazelle with many regular torrenters, I'm not sure if it's that they're so used to TBDev sites they can't accept the radically different layout, or if they're just sort of bandwagoning with the others (in the case of this thread).
    Last edited by ca_aok; 06-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    There's nothing wrong with the features Gazelle has.

The only thing I hate about it is the messy code layout. Reading the thing is like a nightmare.... I tend to use Paracetamol when coding Gazelle...

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    I'm in 0 Gazelle site. I found it annoying for some reason. TBDev works just fine for me but I dislike it's forum to max.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Feeling's Avatar SceneTorrents Staff
    ScTBDev > *

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeling View Post
    ScTBDev > *
    LOL isn't that a project that has died before it was even alive? ScTBDev < * until they bring something to the table.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    Agreed.

Hype doesn't beat quality.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Gazelle is perfect for a music tracker. Everything else takes some tweaking.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    PerMaFrOsT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Any TBDev expert here?? I want to run a new project but donīt have enough time to been fighting with PhP code If you can help me please post something here or send me a PM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234