Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs Debian

AvailableName's Avatar Poster
    Your preference of linux OS?
    Which would you prefer to run if you were to start a private tracker site (perhaps gazelle)?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I dont think it really matters tbh, its just your personal preference, i know people that swear by Gentoo and wont use anything else, others swear by Debian, others Ubuntu etc etc.

But if you put a gun to my head and said to me "choose" i would probably plump with Debian, why? i have no idea really, just seems Debian is geared more towards servers, Ubuntu more towards home, but then Ubuntu has a server distribution as well, but not sure what that is like.

So Debian if i "had" to choose.
    Last edited by stoi; 06-08-2010 at 10:03 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Ubuntu is based on Debian "unstable".

Most web servers run Debian. It is considered very stable.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Debian is best for servers and ubuntu best for desktops

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    There basically the same, I've used before debian and ubuntu server. Didn't notice any difference except the package lifetime. (Some of their packages in Lenny's repo are two years old) Basically only real difference is ubuntu gets packages faster and debian well for LAMP stuff you're best off using dotdeb's repos. Reality of it is - it doesn't matter which one you choose.
    Last edited by backie; 06-09-2010 at 03:22 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    The best distro is the one you like, simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel9 View Post
    Mp3 obviusly is superior. FLAC is only for nerds and n00bs, u cant even play it in iTunes so its basicaly useless.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    amirji's Avatar One HiTTa QuiTa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Debian does have really old packages, didn't really like it when it came with, then changed to 8.04, imo, was way better then Debian. Just upgraded and am really liking Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it's really smooth compared to 8.04. But you should try them out for yourself, you'll know in a month which one your gonna stick with.
    "F*** the B**** A** Haters"

"You Know Who You Are, Punks"

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by amirji View Post
    Debian does have really old packages, didn't really like it when it came with, then changed to 8.04, imo, was way better then Debian. Just upgraded and am really liking Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it's really smooth compared to 8.04. But you should try them out for yourself, you'll know in a month which one your gonna stick with.
    If you need newer packages either run squeeze/sid or at least use apt-pinning for certain repos. The entire point of using debian on a server is because it's tried/tested/stable (at least the stable variant) and so naturally some of the packages will be outdated. You can always install new packages from source anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    By the way, one question to those used to Ubuntu.
    I'm using 9.10, with a lot of tweaking and customization, and at the updates manager it has a huge button saying "upgrade to 10.04 LTS"... Does upgrading that way will keep my installed software and configurations, or will it wipeout what was installed and do a fresh install of 10.04, ignoring all that was behind ?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    backie's Avatar Demigod BT Rep: +1
    It just update all the packages and kernel etc. Config and other crap stay the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast