Thread: Uk Regional Assemblies

Thought's on regional assemblies and what difference it will make to your city.Yorkshire should have it's own regional assemblies,John Prescott say's having regional assemblies will give power back to the people.choice is at the very heart of the act,in keeping with the wider policy of devolution to the English Region's.Local people are best placed to make decisions that directly affect themselves,refurendums for elected regional assemblies.the issue will be raised again on the 16th May 2004.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Anything that takes power away from Whitehall is good in my book.

The priorities in the North have little in common with the Priorities in the South...hopefully the Regions will have some sort of minor Tax Raising powers; so that we can implement some of what the Scottish Parliament has achieved, but which Whitehall is too scared of doing, as it would upset the Home County voters

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    sod the home counties we deserve to run our own regions ,been saying it for years working ok for Scotland

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    No argument for me.....

I'd be very happy Northumbria had nothing to do with London..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Too true mate

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    But that would probably be the same opinion for the whole country, i think we would all like to see more involvment from regional assemblies.
    It would mean that we are all closer to those people that make decisions about how we run our hospitals & schools, and how we deal with crime.
    If this were to happen i would not mind living in the home counties as they would be in a better positon financially to get the hospitals and schools up to a high standard, and also better placed to pay for policing crime ridden areas.
    I suppose it depends on how much power the regional assemblies are given?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I agree but the choice lies with the people at the end of the day & what we do not want is a lottery on who is the best region.where we live or have been brought up matters to people & although I am a Sheffield lad I guess the regional headqtrs for the Yorkshire area will probably be Leeds.