Thread: utorrent 2.0.2 tutorial/port opening

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Ok so after much mucking around i now have 2.0.2 and straight off it is working even without changing anything in preferences but i would like to set it up to work as it should so what i am looking for is a tutorial preferably for 2.0.2 because some others have different screens and makes it hard to work out what is what.

What also has me confused is that when i try to open a port using portforwarding.com it tells me that if i have a dot in the "obtain ip addredd automically" then i should click the other option and get my ip from the dos screen at ipconfig/all i do this but my default gateway and my dns servers are the same so then i follow on and log into my routers homepage and find the right numbers ( i presume ) so i go back put in these numbers but then i lose my connection if i go back to the connections page and change the dots back to ip automatically i re-connect so i need a way to open a port and remain on the net.

So if anyone can help out i would be truly greatful

Cheer's
    Neil
    Last edited by aussienaterror; 06-15-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: more to add

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I'm gonna do you a favor and move this to a section you might actually get some help from

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by aussienaterror View Post
    What also has me confused is that when i try to open a port using portforwarding.com it tells me that if i have a dot in the "obtain ip addredd automically" then i should click the other option and get my ip from the dos screen at ipconfig/all i do this but my default gateway and my dns servers are the same so then i follow on and log into my routers homepage and find the right numbers ( i presume ) so i go back put in these numbers but then i lose my connection if i go back to the connections page and change the dots back to ip automatically i re-connect so i need a way to open a port and remain on the net.
    Use a static LAN IP maybe? Specially if you're using the router to share your connection. Give everyone a different IP, and forward the ports you need to yours. You can then run uTorrent and go to www.canyouseeme.org to check if you've done things correctly.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    hmm ok never tried a static lan before i do have my two kids on laptops that use the same connection if anyone can help with a detailed instruction on how to set this up it would be much appreciated.

cheer's
    Neil

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Here you are:
    http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

As mentioned there, the IPs need to be different for each computer.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    why would my dos screen have an ip address as 10.1.1.5 and when i log into my router using 10.1.1.1 it has my lan ip as 10.1.1.1?? i am so confused it was much easier when the hardest thing we had to do was work out how to spell words upside down on a calculator

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by aussienaterror View Post
    why would my dos screen have an ip address as 10.1.1.5 and when i log into my router using 10.1.1.1 it has my lan ip as 10.1.1.1??
    10.1.1.1 is the router's IP, 10.1.1.5 is yours.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ahh so i guess that means that i can give my kids laptops any two of these?? 10.1.1.2/10.1.1.3/10.1.1.4

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    If they aren't being used by another computer already, then yes.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by egean View Post
    do you really need to open the port...

i opened two ports ...

but nothings happening so far
    You again?