Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I use a lot of bandwidth, but am tired of paying...

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tv Controls you View Post
    You got to watch home many ip's your using as it will look as if your sharing your account.

When I used to run my trojan backdoor loader, I would install utorrent in the background and of course have remote gui setup .

Some people would have better speeds than some of the seed boxes offered around here lol....
    The IP question is an interesting one...

I don't entirely know how an address is assigned. Interestingly enough, last month my personal meter showed I was over by ~100GB. However, when I checked the meter on Concast's site, I was fine.

Apparently, my wireless has been grabbing from my neighbors anyway.

I don't have any interest in installing anything in my neighbors' backdoor.

Edit-...and how is my plan any different than the 100's of thousands of ipod touch users walking/driving around using unsecured connections?
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    With comcast you have a 250gb limit between pay periods (1 months)..
    I have ran over 250gb a few times and they didn't say anything,
    I have a few friends who use over 500 gb a month and just ignores the letters they send... lol

If you want to do it the "correct" way buy business class from them.
    As their is no apparent limit....
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-15-2010 at 01:56 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    I used 750GB one month, and I got a call. I've been keeping an eye on it and find it more irritating than anything else. Not only is Concast the proponent of monthly caps, they also shape bandwidth against BT users. I've seen a lot of disconnects while jumping on new torrents that build up to 2+MB/sec.

These actions are anti-customer. We are paying for their service. Well, at least others will be...

I had not even thought of jumping ship until they started messing with me. :

Edit- and you are correct, TVCY, there is NO monthly cap on business class. I've read everything on their site concerning this. However, I am already paying for the service- they just don't want me to get all of what I am paying for. I certainly am not going to give them more money for being dicks.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    I would not be screwing anyone over. Chances are quite good that people who cannot figure out how to set up WEP are NOT using anywhere near the monthly cap. I would be using their monthly "headroom".
    This is in no way a valid assumption. What if they have something like a 2GB cap because they don't use the internet much, and you end up getting them surcharged or cut off? There's no way you can tell what their cap is.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    Edit-...and how is my plan any different than the 100's of thousands of ipod touch users walking/driving around using unsecured connections?
    Because you aren't torrenting 80GB off someone's connection, you're checking your email or something using a few MBs tops. Maybe watching a youtube vid. There's a huge difference. If you were without internet for some reason and just needed to keep up with email and such I think it'd be quite different than you have internet but simply can't be assed to pay for it.

It doesn't really matter how IPs are assigned, it would mostly come down to whether they were on the same ISP as you. Same ISP, same city, most trackers would just assume you have a weird dynamic IP range.

I still think this is incredibly immoral and quite frankly I'm surprised at this coming from you. Justify it however you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I used 750GB one month, and I got a call. I've been keeping an eye on it and find it more irritating than anything else. Not only is Concast the proponent of monthly caps, they also shape bandwidth against BT users. I've seen a lot of disconnects while jumping on new torrents that build up to 2+MB/sec.

These actions are anti-customer. We are paying for their service. Well, at least others will be...

I had not even thought of jumping ship until they started messing with me. :
    Your describing more of a throttling type of deal.

As when I first hop on a torrent it will be going 2-3 mb/s, then after 20 seconds will stay constant at around 1.8 mb/s.
    Although... They are capping us by a lot, if you take a speed test we are using no where near what comcast is capable of providing.

I still think this is incredibly immoral and quite frankly I'm surprised at this coming from you. Justify it however you like.
    The way I see it is... Comcast is forcing us to use other peoples connections... They brought this upon us.

..But really who are you to judge the morality of this, doing so would just make you a hypocrite.
    Either way you look at it, we are all doing something illegal with bandwidth.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-15-2010 at 02:05 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Right, I'm going to be accepting morality lessons from the fellow installing trojans on people's computers for the purposes of his own torrenting

Copyright infringement is just that. Infringing or copying a copyrighted material. Theft is theft, with real and direct consequences to the unwitting person you're stealing from.

But hey, if you enjoy thinking I'm a hypocrite for pointing out you're being a total douche here, whatever helps you sleep at night. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    As I mentioned, there are 2 high-speed options in the area. Concast which only offers a 250GB monthly cap, and the phone co. who previously irritated me. Both are HUGE monopolies with tenancies to do whatever they are inclined to their customers.

I know this is an issue for you, because we have discussed your security measures before.

Would it be any more moral if I called this Bandwidth-Sharing? It has a nice ring to it...

I created this thread to get people to look at their actions from a different perspective. You are making the same arguments software companies make for placing protections on their programs. Many end-users suffer for these protections. The arguments are not that different from the other Industries, either.

We are taking things because we want, or are interested in them. These are things we don't want to pay for. Bandwidth-sharing and file-sharing are one and the same. Especially under the specific conditions I have in my situation.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    I copy, but I don't steal.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    I believe Germany recently required people to protect their connections. This is a serious win for ISPs and coffee shops who get to charge everyone who wants to check their email.

Edit- I want to make it clear that I am not trying to take a moral high-ground, or call anyone, especially my trusted friends, hypocrites. I am throwing this out to the community to look at itself from an angle it may not have considered.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 02:21 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    As I mentioned, there are 2 high-speed options in the area. Concast which only offers a 250GB monthly cap, and the phone co. who previously irritated me. Both are HUGE monopolies with tenancies to do whatever they are inclined to their customers.
    Guess what, I have two real options in my area. The phone company with a 60GB soft cap where I have to pay surcharges every month (which I do), or the cable company with a 60GB hard cap where the internet goes bye bye if you hit 60.01GB for the rest of the month. I put up with it. I'd love to have a 250GB cap montly. That's not even available even if I was inclined to pay for it. Telecom in my entire country is a huge monopoly and the companies throttle you, surcharge you, raise your rates with no warning, etc.

I created this thread to get people to look at their actions from a different perspective. You are making the same arguments software companies make for placing protections on their programs. Many end-users suffer for these protections. The arguments are not that different from the other Industries, either.
    Actually I'm not. The industry says "you're stealing our product", which is incorrect. I never would have "bought" lets say, Adobe Audition. It costs hundreds of dollars and I use it so infrequently that it'd be a pointless buy. I would however, download it for the occasional usage. Now the company will say "you stole that", but no, I didn't. If I went to Best Buy, took the CD off the shelves, and stuffed it in my pocket and walked out, I'd have stolen it. I deprived someone of a physical copy that cost them money to produce and would roughly equate to a lost sale. If I download a copy, I haven't deprived anyone of anything other than imaginary profit.

On the other hand, if I take my neighbour's bandwidth, I've specifically deprived them of a product they paid for, leaving them to foot the bill for my greed. They may be forced to pay surcharges, they may be cut off from the internet for the rest of the month, they might receive copyright notices from the RIAA/MPAA or their equivalents elsewhere, they might experience constant slow speeds due to your sharing (depriving them of something else they paid for), they might be throttled because of you as well.

This is clear unabased greed. There are no acceptable conditions for your situation. As I said, acceptable would be "I don't have an internet connection but need to be able to access my email/work material until I get one again", not "I don't like my ISP so I'm going to ruin other people's internet connections".

We are copying things we want. You are taking things you want. Enjoy justifying that
    Last edited by ca_aok; 06-15-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast