Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I use a lot of bandwidth, but am tired of paying...

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok
    On the other hand, if I take my neighbour's bandwidth, I've specifically deprived them of a product they paid for, leaving them to foot the bill for my greed. They may be forced to pay surcharges, they may be cut off from the internet for the rest of the month, they might receive copyright notices from the RIAA/MPAA or their equivalents elsewhere, they might experience constant slow speeds due to your sharing (depriving them of something else they paid for), they might be throttled because of you as well.
    Sorry to hear your service is so lousy there.

There are some big differences between our services- 1. Nobody pays for overages. If they did, they would secure their connections immediately. 2. Nobody gets cut off. In fact, the DSL option (phone co.) does not cap their service. 3. The only people who get kicked off of Concast use in excess of 250GB/mo. Concast says that only 1% of the population use that much. So, if they are accurate, I have a 1% chance of effecting someone's connection.

As for limiting their speed, I would be leeching via a wireless connection. That is ALWAYS slower than line speed AND far less than the 2MB/s speed available.

I also realize that if I effect someone too much, they will protect their wireless. Why would I want to kill my host?

Actually, many people in this area, including businesses...intentionally leave their lines open. That way people CAN travel across a city and use their wireless devices. The more people who leave them open, the better for the end user.

Justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by chinchi11as View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I stopped paying for movies, DVDs, etc. about a year ago because I cannot support Industries that are so strongly against internet freedoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

Change "cannot" to "will not". Honestly, if I can't get movies/media for free, I don't care enough to worry about them.

I believe someone when they claim they torrent b/c they cannot afford to pay, they just want shit for free, or something alone the line. But when someone claim they cannot (or will not) pay b/c industries are against "internet freedom" it makes me ->
    Last edited by chinchi11as; 06-15-2010 at 03:09 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    To be Morally correct or not is your choice.But stealing is stealing,there is not Justification for that.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    I believe someone when they claim they torrent b/c they cannot afford to pay, they just want shit for free, or something alone the line. But when someone claim they cannot (or will not) pay b/c industries are against "internet freedom" it makes me ->
    Why would I support Industries that are ABSOLUTELY trying to take away our abilities to use the internet as we see fit? Do you ever glance at the News section? These Industries have sued children. Run racketeering schemes. Bribed judges. Faked evidence.

Actually, I'll change the first line to, "why would anyone support Industries that are trying to destroy the freest, most equalizing, everything-you-can-imagine, technology ever created?"

They are my enemies; I don't support my enemies. They should be considered our enemies.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by AbyBeats View Post
    To be Morally correct or not is your choice.But stealing is stealing,there is not Justification for that.
    fair point. there's no justification for stealing, which includes torrenting. I still do it though, it's just that i don't try to justify it by claims like "industries are evil"

---

If you keep jumping over unsecure wireless connection, your IP history will probably show shitload of different ISP changes. When looked up (which staff will do eventually) they won't notice any country/city change or suspect it's a trade but i'm sure staff will question if the user is safe or not.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    So, what this boils down to is...it is ok to download anything we want AS LONG AS we pay a third-party for access to that stuff.

Then I guess I'll make sure I pay for the rental car before robbing a bank.

Edit- I can see already that the majority here find this unacceptable. I am headed to bed, so I'll let this ride for today and see where it goes. I'll leave with a couple of excerpts from PMs sent regarding this thread. I think they might reveal a bit more of my motivations behind this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    I have not canceled my service, and I may not. I would be taking a serious reduction in usable bandwidth, and my speed would be VASTLY slower.

I found the topic intriguing, so I trolled it a bit. If you re-read from the title through my first couple posts, I was intentionally inviting opposition.

It is actually a viable option here. I would not consider it if anyone would be paying overages, or truly faced trouble.
    I do find it interesting where people draw lines. This was an exercise in testing those boundaries, and seeing IF my actions were over that line. The majority of people here who have sounded off tend to agree with you.

If I were to ask the question amongst professors, I would expect these same answers. However, this is a community of people gathered for the purpose of illegal activities. Surely you see the irony here...
    Have fun. I have.

Edit2- Still up, so I'll throw in another PM excerpt...

We are talking about data here. Both file-sharing AND bandwidth-sharing. I expected more people than did to fall on the side of my arguments. They didn't. I think that is an issue of investment (my money vs their money) than a moral one, honestly. People have an investment in their bandwidth, while companies have investment in their products.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Poster
    MBM, are you Cambodian, Canadian or American or you're everywhere?

I recognize torrentor as person who sit inside grey area because most reason risen is they wouldn't pay or can't pay for copyrighted stuff and how can we get stuff if no pirates buying it at first place. Still stealing is always stealing. Those company are stealing our money too with their crap stuff.

One more paragraph . How about the rise of seedbox and hosting company biz to stocked pirated stuff? Isn't it money circulated? How can't those company with their anti-piracy policy monetize P2P with new ways?. And If piracy is never exist, the world will be fulfilled with trash because of consumerism, the poor will always poor, the rich will get richer because of information gap (how can a student learn with 300 bucks software).

Sorry for the Off topic, MBM. Actually filesharingtalk isn't a place of gathering for illegal activity because even RIAA do file-sharing talk too.
    Nevermind about those i***** seeker (including me).

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok
    Right, I'm going to be accepting morality lessons from the fellow installing trojans on people's computers for the purposes of his own torrenting
    Hop off your high horse pal, your no better than me nor anyone else on this forum.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-15-2010 at 07:10 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    See if a usenet subscription with a smaller plan is cheaper. You won't need to 2/3 upload that way.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    If your problem is with Comcast's policies, switch to another ISP, even if it isn't the best option in terms of quality.

It's just a dick move to steal bandwidth from your neighbors, especially if you can afford to pay for your own internet, which is made worse by how much bandwidth you know you're going to use torrenting. It's not like you can't afford the cost or just want to check the news and your email a few times a day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast