Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I use a lot of bandwidth, but am tired of paying...

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post

I steal (digital) files, but I would never rob a store.
    I would rob a store but only a bad one run by bad people .
    Preferably foreigners .

Or maybe a video store because of the irony.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-15-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post

I steal (digital) files, but I would never rob a store.
    I would rob a store but only a bad one run by bad people .
    Preferably foreigners .

Or maybe a video store because of the irony.
    As I've come to notice these morality threads are all pointless as it is completley opinionated according to each individual.

This as tokeman has suggested, is indeed a thread about where the line is drawn....

In the case at hand... Megabyteme if you find it justifiable and are aware of the consequences...
    Then I say go ahead....
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-15-2010 at 10:06 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i think you are mistaken in thinking you can somehow hook up an antenna and receive signals from all over the place... that is a one-sided system... where you would have a big transmitter and could send signals very far...

the people you are trying to connect to dont have big transmitters... they have very tiny ones which is all they need to get internet in their small sq footage area.

you will see some wireless antennas that can transmit up to 1.5 miles... ya thats great if you have another one just like that on the other end that can transmit back 1.5 miles...

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Although this thread has not gone as I had expected, I find it quite fascinating that there is a near-perfect consensus of people posting who believe it is morally wrong for me to grab this 2.4ghz radio frequency that is floating in the air around me.

It is of no consequence that the company I would no longer be paying is actually a frequent opponent to this community. Even those who are giving me the "out" of paying another company (phone co.), believe I should be paying somebody.

How about this...

Instead of paying Concast, I leech no more than 60GB/mo and divide that among 6 different open connections (10 GB ea) AND I donate that money to...take your pick:

1. An orphanage
    2. Children's Leukemia research
    3. A homeless shelter
    4. A fund that helps poor families receive a computer and internet access

Would any of these causes absolve me from my moral deficit? Or should this money ABSOLUTELY go to AN ISP?
    IMO it'd be okay only if:
    - the owner of the connection wouldn't receive any C&D letters.
    - you would leech your stuff when the owner of the connection is not using it.
    - the owner of the connection would never reach his/her cap even though you're using it.

The same thing concerns "illegal" p2p: I'd never ever buy any of the shit I download; nobody loses anything.
    Under the circumstances where I live, I don't think that those conditions would be too hard to meet, however, I don't want to just wrap this up in nice little bow and say, see, "the orphans win, and nobody gets hurt..." What's the fun in that?

So people can pick from these options...

1) I help the orphans, or whatever. And I use neighbors connections as I stated.
    2) I meet the above conditions regarding "no victims" (as heiska stated). But I don't donate anything.

edit-
    3) The ABSOLUTE best use for money and morality is to pay an ISP.

Please guide my moral compass, fellow pirates.

As a side note...TVCY, I don't think you are helping me "win anyone over". Actually, if you keep it up, we'll probably both get deported, or something.

Further edit- Raban, the dish is essentially an ear. I would receive the signal through that. Sending back may be more difficult, but an additional $105 will get me a 1 watt (that's above "legal" FCC broadcasting limits on 2.4ghz) amp.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    BANNED BT Rep: +2
    ill say it just one more time. Mod your modem, screw Comcrap in da butt, save your neighbor's bandwidth, send the money from the bill to the little kids with flies all up on their boogers fund. its a win-win-win situation.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by l33tpirata13 View Post
    ill say it just one more time. Mod your modem, screw Comcrap in da butt, save your neighbor's bandwidth, send the money from the bill to the little kids with flies all up on their boogers fund. its a win-win-win situation.
    Are you saying there is a way to not pay Concast, or mod my modem so that there is no cap? Last I read about modem hacks, it required a dupe address from another part of town AND those were getting caught regularly. It still doesn't leave any money for da orphans...
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Are you saying there is a way to not pay Concast, or mod my modem so that there is no cap? Last I read about modem hacks, it required a dupe address from another part of town AND those were getting caught regularly. It still doesn't leave any money for da orphans...
    yeah, both. you could do it that way, duping the subs address, but other methods work. this way, no pay comcrap, give da money to da chilrrrrens.

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by l33tpirata13 View Post
    yeah, both. you could do it that way, duping the subs address, but other methods work. this way, no pay comcrap, give da money to da chilrrrrens.
    I am not familiar with these other methods. Certainly curious. Got a page with info?

Edit- alright, found a ref. Seems like something that would get busted, and prosecuted. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...rdware-hacker/
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-15-2010 at 10:50 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    ill pm u

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    The world is not separated into the black and white of criminal activity

If you think there are no degrees to criminals
    Haha.

Edit: Fine. I won't be a dick. Let me elaborate. There's right, then there's wrong. Every single one of us draws his very own line between those two abstract paradigms, and hopes to live his life with that choice. I know people who swear by the fact that piracy is wrong, yet go to nick a lollipop for their kid from a candy store. Similarly, I know people who deal with the former situation, and shun away from the latter.

Either way, they're both wrong, but in their own perspective, they're both right. The world is really that simple as black and white. Both actions are unacceptably wrong, according to the rules set aside by society for us all to follow. It depends on where you draw your personal line to make a difference between you seeing both actions as wrong, or both as acceptably performable.

There are degrees of criminals, surely. However, at the same time, the issue remains black and white. You're either doing something that you know is right, regardless of how tough (or expensive) that may be. Or, you are doing something that is wrong, at which point you'll end up justifying your actions/morals to yourself in order to convince yourself of otherwise. You are either right, or wrong; white, or black.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 06-15-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Ellipses go here.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast