Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: I use a lot of bandwidth, but am tired of paying...

BANNED BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Edit- alright, found a ref. Seems like something that would get busted, and prosecuted. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...rdware-hacker/
    well, im not gonna try and convince you that you wont get busted. but you wont.

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Upon further reflection, there may be working, alternative methods after all...

If anyone wants to discuss various shades of computer-based gray-areas, I'll be happy to continue. I appreciate all of the lively discussions I've had here today!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    well, im not gonna try and convince you that you wont get busted. but you wont.
    Damn I need to get my hands on one of those bad boys....

Fake mac address's on a free service that isn't registered.... damn
    And you can continuously change the mac... Which in turn changes your ip.

I would be using rapidshare for all my flac lol, switching ip's between files.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-16-2010 at 01:08 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    As has been mentioned just buy/hack a cable modem. Less of a dick move imho and you should see the speeds these modems are capable of really insane speeds if you get on the right switch.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Isn't it incredibly easy for the cable company to detect that sort of thing and then you are up shit creek .
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Isn't it incredibly easy for the cable company to detect that sort of thing and then you are up shit creek .
    I would say you have a much greater chance of getting caught using a hacked modem than stealing someones wifi to seed.

Although If you pay for your cable service they tend to leave alone most of the time as I'm reading, but they catch on to people who don't pay a dime lol.
    Although if you constantly move your false mac address I think it would be incredible difficult/a waste of time for the cable company to track.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 06-16-2010 at 03:18 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    What's comcasts cap? Think I read a while ago it was 250GB of combined upload/download? Why not instead of pirating material off of other people's connections without their permission(which by the way, I'm totally against) don't you just pay the few dollars a month for a Usenet account, or the few dollars a month to use warez forums?

This way you'll be downloading only and you'll be able to gain a lot more files before you hit your cap? And you'll only have to use BT when you can't find the file you're after from the two mentioned methods(which this is the file sharing route that I use, and it's not often at all that I have to use BT to get a file).

By the way...sorry if this was asked and answered in this thread already. I rarely read the whole thread anymore here at FST.

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    The community has spoken, and I am willing to concede that taking large amounts of data via open wireless connections is, as sear eloquently put it, "a dick move".

If, and when, I decide to find an alternate method of receiving my bandwidth, it will not be via wireless connections.

Thanks for all of the feed-back. I actually learned a couple of new things both technical, and about the community's mindset.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    What's comcasts cap? Think I read a while ago it was 250GB of combined upload/download?
    Yup, that's what I'm on and that cap is correct; and my downloading habits have changed as consequence. Well, they've only changed slightly as I've never come close to reaching that cap anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    use warez forums?
    When I mentioned that slight change in my downloading habits, I was referring to this. You should definitely try this route. Although having read your first post, it seems to me that you don't have a problem with Comcast's cap, but that you have a problem giving money to Comcast, the ISP leading the charge against BT; in which case this won't be of any help to you.

And I, like Funkin', rarely ever read entire threads here anymore, so I'm not sure if you've made a decision about stealing bandwidth, but I am of the opinion that that is a very dick move, and I can't believe that you even contemplated it.

EDIT: Haha, seems I was a few minutes too slow in posting...
    Last edited by respawn40; 06-16-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: gfjsdfhjhgjsdfhgjdfhsjghdfjgd

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    Quote Originally Posted by respawn40 View Post
    I am of the opinion that that is a very dick move, and I can't believe that you even contemplated it.
    In part, it is because I have a location that is very unlikely to hurt anyone else. This area does not have the same overage charges that other regions/countries face. My house sits on a hill and overlooks a large part of the city- that means I would have far more open lines available to me than most anyone else who would do this. I actually would not be a "dick" and over-use any one source.

Another key element here is an inherent desire to cut costs. If I could find a satisfactory level of bandwidth for free, why not? I can find many other things to spend the money on.

I'm tempted to play the new dad sympathy card here, but that would be BS.

I honestly do not believe in supporting businesses that act against things I believe in. Concast is truly an opponent of this community. Why would I support them?

There is a "coolness" factor in researching something technical and building it (hopefully with success). I wanted to see just how much bandwidth I could pull from "the air".

And finally, there is a slippery slope when engaging in illegal activities. Where does one draw the line? It is good to have sensible friends around when one decides to create a new line. The conversations here ultimately changed my direction/actions in this matter.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 06-16-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: added final sentence.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast