Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What.cd Paypal Frozen?

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post

Enjoy watching legit donors continue to needlessly waste money, as I'm not aware of any of them that implement this policy (or it's certainly not made public if so).
    correction.

PS I'm not justifying or contemplating ethics behind trading. If you ask me, trading is more of a hassle than giveaways considering the opportunity costs of the anti-trade climate, ie the lengths staff go to protect against it. You are a fool to be trading or doing random public giveaways in the first place, but that has nothing to do with trackers taking needless risks with their money by being overly stingy.
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 06-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I completely agree that in an ideal world, that'd be fine. They get their money back, and they and the folks they invited get banned. What I'm saying is that PayPal will examine your account if you're constantly refunding people because they'll assume there's some sort of issue occurring.

I'm also saying that the money give was indeed a donation, it wasn't forced out of you. Whatever your pretenses may have been for giving the money in the first place, I think it's unreasonable to expect the money to be returned to an extent. While this may not be the same thing as donating to a charity, it's also not a piggy bank where you can add and remove your money at any given time.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Does paypal record them as transactions or as donations? I know paypal puts the onus on the seller, so I assumed users always purchase donation rights, they are not infact donating. But technicalities are aside from the point, because you're still talking about an ideal that does not exist in the real world.

Don't know if refunding purchases will get your paypal business locked or not, but that seems kind of absurb. And are there really THAT many donors that donate solely to trade who get banned? Maybe switching the donor privs will curb that, it doesn't seem worth the risk of losing all your funds, especially if you keep a big balance in there.

If Paypal is the method that will at the end of the day result in the most funds whether a percentage of it is lost or not, I guess that is how this will stay.
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 06-15-2010 at 06:59 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    I know the knee-jerk reaction is to band traders, but I'd bet some of these issues arise from either the sites being reported by antipiracy authorities or hell, even one individual scener or other douchebag filing reports of illegal activity. Maybe PayPal notices suspicious trends of donations and taking a look into the site's purpose.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    Does paypal record them as transactions or as donations? I know paypal puts the onus on the seller, so I assumed users always purchase donation rights, they are not infact donating. But technicalities are aside from the point, because you're still talking about an ideal that does not exist in the real world.
    Technicalities here are skirting the real issue. But yes it appears to PayPal as if you're purchasing something. It also appears to PayPal that you aren't a large filesharing site accepting donations.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    Don't know if refunding purchases will get your paypal business locked or not, but that seems kind of absurb. And are there really THAT many donors that donate solely to trade who get banned? Maybe switching the donor privs will curb that, it doesn't seem worth the risk of losing all your funds, especially if you keep a big balance in there.
    Switching donor privs certainly helps. On most gazelle based sites that tend to leave the default donation schemata from What intact, the 2 invites usually aren't that big of a deal, especially since it's a "low value" site. But it still happens and it only takes a few of these infractions for PayPal to get suspicious.

On a site like SCC where this sort of thing more routinely happens and P2Invite is clearly the mentality, it's much more frequent. I sort of recall a post made here a few months back where some moron dropped 100 euros on invites, sold/traded them, got banned, and then whined about his money. If he hadn't been trying to flip them for a profit, he wouldn't have lost anything. I see trading/selling as both a huge and unnecessary risk, and if you're willing to take that risk then you need to be willing to accept the consequences/losses along with the reward/profit.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds
    If Paypal is the method that will at the end of the day result in the most funds whether a percentage of it is lost or not, I guess that is how this will stay.
    There really aren't any mainstream alternative solutions. Donation schemes where sites offer alternative methods generally see a tiny percentage of use compared to PayPal. There would need to be a large and conscious shift on the part of several large trackers to move towards another service for this to take off.
    Last edited by ca_aok; 06-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    PackMeIn Staff
    Thank goodness we've never had that problem. We've never really had that money donations for that to be an issue, nor have we ever been all that concerned over traders and sellers. We just have bigger problems. Like that stupid domain...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123