Thread: W32.spybot.worm

nydg63
    been using K-Lite for a few months w/o a hitch....until recently my computer is telling me that i've been infected with the dreaded W32.Spybot.Worm ....
    i've been using norton a.v. throughout w/ current definitions but apparently that wasn't good enough, although the service was kind enough to inform me of the infection and that it could not be repaired...at least it contained it to one file and denied access so as not to spread it HOPEFULLY.... a key element to note here is that as of the beginning of the month there is no longer toll-free support for this service, so getting some clarification has not been forthcoming.....
    incidentally, i changed my i.s.p. recently to sbc/yahoo dsl to take further advantage of all k-lite has to offer, and i noticed when you log on to the connection that it temporarily disables my anti-virus while it makes the connection- they say this is a normal function but i wonder if that window of opportunity was long and wide enough to let this virus in...i know getting any type of confessional from the i.s.p. simply will not happen....
    was wondering if any other users were experiencing similar problems....by the way, i'm using windows xp home edition....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    U should have had auto-protect on it would have told u before u even finished the download and would have made it fail.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The worm can't get in your computer unless you download it. You probably downloaded a fake crack which was actually that worm (Kazaa is full of this crap ) or it came bundled with some software you got from K-Lite.

Anyway, check the link below.

W32.Spybot.Worm Removal Instructions

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    Originally posted by nydg63@1 November 2003 - 02:42
    been using K-Lite for a few months w/o a hitch....until recently my computer is telling me that i've been infected with the dreaded W32.Spybot.Worm ....
    i've been using norton a.v. throughout w/ current definitions but apparently that wasn't good enough, although the service was kind enough to inform me of the infection and that it could not be repaired...at least it contained it to one file and denied access so as not to spread it HOPEFULLY.... a key element to note here is that as of the beginning of the month there is no longer toll-free support for this service, so getting some clarification has not been forthcoming.....
    incidentally, i changed my i.s.p. recently to sbc/yahoo dsl to take further advantage of all k-lite has to offer, and i noticed when you log on to the connection that it temporarily disables my anti-virus while it makes the connection- they say this is a normal function but i wonder if that window of opportunity was long and wide enough to let this virus in...i know getting any type of confessional from the i.s.p. simply will not happen....
    was wondering if any other users were experiencing similar problems....by the way, i'm using windows xp home edition....
    ive never had that prob and have u got rid of the virus or did it not get in. sure its not the worm saying norton stuff

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    W32.spybot.worm, viruses associated with K-Lite
    INCORRECT, K-Lite does not contain any virus when dl from official site. To confirm there's an MD5 reference u can check urself (if u know how to)

Originally posted by nydg63@1 November 2003 - 02:42
    i've been using norton a.v. throughout w/ current definitions but apparently that wasn't good enough
    Check the level of protection, confirm the virus definition with their site (oct 30, 2003)

i noticed when you log on to the connection that it temporarily disables my anti-virus while it makes the connection- they say this is a normal function
    can u provide sample lines of the log file?
    who's "they", ISP?

was wondering if any other users were experiencing similar problems
    I haven't nor have seen anyone on this board with the same case, yet it's very possible to what the other memeber have said.

EDIT: symantec definition is now oct 31, 2003. also to ppl who don't know this:
    If u have symantec AV (any version) note that liveupdate is released on Wed most of the times, while Intelligent Updater is done daily if needed.
    Intelligent Updater vs. LiveUpdate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if u EVER have an inclination to d/l something off kazaa lite, for heaven's sake, see if u can find it on irc or bit torrent. there's NO reason not to