Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Privilage not a right!

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Before i start, i am slightly drunk (21 bottles of bud tonight), but that is no excuse.

I keep hearing this, over and over again, but what a load of bollocks it is.

to put it simply

without me, BCG would not exist, without the staff, it may exist, but it may be not as good as it is, without the members, it will be worthless.

OK, if you fuck up and break whatever rules a tracker has, then you deserve to be banned, if we never had rules, then it would just be a bloody mess.

But we both need each other, without a tracker, there is no members, and without any members, there is no tracker.

So the privilage is on both sides, but there are plenty other trackers out there for you to go to (ok maybe not as good as BCG sorry drunk like i said) but there is only 1 of you (as lomg as you are a good member).

And if anyone says why dont you open up then, well i really want to, but blame the traders/sellers. When you see 250 accounts getting made by the same person just so that when we close they can go and trade/sell them, it is disheartening and you think bloody pointless doing it.

anyway bit of a puke moment there, just saying that the members that trackers have are just as important, if not more so than the staff/owners of these trackers, so anyone that says its a privilage to be part of one, is talking bollocks, (unless you have fucked up and got banned for a reason).

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    kool story bro.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    privilege- a special advantage or immunity or benefit not enjoyed by all

I feel I enjoy a benefit not enjoyed by all at BCG.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    but why, we are nothing special really, no where is, ok we may be "best" in the field, even though i dont really think we are but whatever, but i am not just talking about us, i am talking about sites in general, if you are a really good member, and you will follow the rules, then trackers that do not have you are missing out more than you not having a tracker.

(if that makes sense).

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have long argued that actions such as trading violate house rules in the same manner as a home owner asking that guests not put their feet on the coffee table, or try to sleep with the guy's wife, etc.

The difference between the site owner, the staff, its good members, and its bad ones all comes down to amounts of investment- in descending order, as listed.

If I have people over, I am happy that they came (as good guests), but I am not going to announce that these guests ARE all-important. If I want to kick people out, that is far more of a right than someone has to be in my home. However, good hosts seldom go out of their way to throw a party and then simply abuse their guests.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Indeed the members are extremely important, but most the time I have seen people say that is when they are talking to someone who pretty much has the thinking that "tracker rules are stupid". So it usually fits.

I know that at the tracker I am at we DEFINITELY appreciate our good members. But at the huge sites I cant say either way really. :shrug: . I would assume that at a tracker with 100,000 members it is more likely for staff to think that any one member is expendable. Compared to a tracker with a couple thousand members at least.
    Last edited by That1Guy; 06-19-2010 at 02:54 AM.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    A: i dont really see it as "my house", its just a website at the end of the day, yes it was my idea, i created it, i have put money towards it, but its not really "my house" my house will exist even if me and my family are the only ones in it, "my" tracker wont exist if me and my family are the only ones in it.

B: I dont see what the size of the member base has to do with it, you know the good members, you may not know the bad members in either case.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    A: i dont really see it as "my house", its just a website at the end of the day, yes it was my idea, i created it, i have put money towards it, but its not really "my house" my house will exist even if me and my family are the only ones in it, "my" tracker wont exist if me and my family are the only ones in it.
    But you and your staff have invested more time, energy, planning, face legal "challenges", etc. You are the ones who work hardest to make the "place" nice for everyone. It is you (and your staff) who lose the most if the "place" becomes undesirable.

Honestly, I love the perspective you are expressing- your philosophy is why people want so desperately to get in! Who wouldn't want to go hang out with such a gracious host?

While you make BCG special with your philosophy, other sites can ascribe to different variations. If these barons become too known for being lousy hosts, they end up being used more for utility than seen as a welcoming, warm place to invest their energies. And users do bring an energy/life to a place. You are certainly not wrong, by any means!

The point is, there are different ways to attract people to your home, business, tracker, w/e. It is a two-way street, but someone needs to set the rules, and guests decide how they will respond to their host(s)' rules/attitudes towards them.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lol OK, let me digest that a tad.

I have never once heard a tracker staffer say its a privilage to be in a tracker (they may have but i have never actually heard them) its other members on here that i hear it from all the time when someone has been banned (usually). but if they break the rules, they deserved to be kicked out IMHO, it hasnt really got anything to do with being a privilage really (or a right or whatever), if you break a rule and lets be honest here, 99% of trackers rules are the same so you cant really plead ignorance.

again you are saying guests, nearly all staff on trackers have been "guests", and still are (I have to be careful here not to piss staff off lol) but they are just that, guests on the tracker in question, i have no staff on BCG that started with BCG so in your reckoning they are just guests on the tracker that have been noticed.

lets get back to the opening up thing.

if we opened up tomorrow this is what would happen

1: Members would make new accounts
    2: non members would make multi accounts for when we close
    3: non members would make multi accounts to use, hit and run, and make more accounts.

Why do you think trackers prune, its not only to get members to use their accounts every so often, its to get rid of the crap they have had to digest over the past so many weeks or so.

all trackers (well me) is for members to give as much as they take, or at least try (I know its impossible for every single member to have a good ratio) and just play fair and respect us, the problem is, BT is a comodity now, (whether that is the WTAW thread or not is beside the point) and its all about, i HAVE to get in there, even though they dont.

OK going way off topic on that one but like i said, pretty drunk and it it 04:30am here, but another thing i will just touch on.

You hear all the bad crap that gos on, banning etc (bad for the member in question I mean) but you never hear about the good (or very rarely) that happens on these trackers.

lets take Cirno for example, he bans/warns because he cares about the tracker and what mebers do, now me i am far to soft and feel guilty as hell for days if i ban someone, even if they deserver it, but without cirno, it would be chaos, but he does help a lot of members as well, just the vast majority of things that you hear are bad, the good never really comes out, i think of it like the 10 o`clock news in the UK years ago, 25 minutes, of crap then the lst news item would be something good (like someone saving a kitten or some crap) but my point is, you hear a lot of bad, and not enough good.

wow i am going off on tangents here lol will quit there and i think its bed time as well lol

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Your tangents are always warmly received, stio.

If your thread had simply been about How to be a good host I would not challenge a single word. I absolutely agree with your philosophy of being an "owner" who is humbled by his guests. It is as great a model for home as it is for business, or life for that matter.

Trackers/homes/businesses/individuals who treat guests/friends/associates with differing views face their own problems. BUT they have a right to chose to face these problems.

Yes, staff are guests. However, they have made commitments of time, effort, and certain levels of stress that "regular" guests have not committed to. They deserve additional respect (and dare I say power) for making and meeting these commitments.

Yes, the drama llamas are everywhere. It is never as much fun to say thanks as it is to criticize. It is also not as efficient a use of time to discuss things that are already working properly. Broken ones need to be discussed.

The trading thing is a case of greed. I don't have a solution for that.

Sleep well. I find myself fortunate to only argue against you when you are drunk and I am sober.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast