Thread: question about repair/extraction

flaaash
    Hey there, I'm pretty new to usenet and I have a question. I only just figured out how usenet actually works (the whole repairing,parity thing). thing is, I used grabit to dl a couple of tv show and since grabit didnt seem to extract them, I went to the download folder and extracted them from there(part01.rar,part02.rar... those ones). At that time I didn't know about how files got repaired, my question is eventhough I didn't get errors from 7zip about CRC check failure or a file being broken when extracting them, is it possible that ive extracted files which werent fixed/complete/repaired yet or are they ready as soon as grabit is done dl'ing them ? I'm not if the whole question is clear, but hopefully you get an idea..

also, I made sure that all the file I downloaded were 100% complete on the server.

thanks
    Last edited by flaaash; 06-21-2010 at 04:19 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    First of all, you need to download and install Quickpar. Although many NZB/binary newsreaders like Grabit have auto-par/auto-rar functions built-in, these don't work all the time, so Quickpar becomes a very useful tool. When you doubleclick on any par2 file (or the sfv file), quickpar will launch and check all the rar files for completeness, and if you have a sufficient number of par2 files, Quickpar will fix any rar files that fail the integrity check.

However, if you have a set of split rar files and (without running Quickpar or having par2 files) you are able to get your desired file(s) assembled out of them, then by definition the rars are 100% complete. (Aside from minor errors) rar files will not de-archive if they are incomplete -- they need to be par-fixed first.

People have reported that Grabit's auto-par/auro-rar function is still buggy, so you might be better off to par-check and unrar the files manually when using Grabit.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

People have reported that Grabit's auto-par/auro-rar function is still buggy, so you might be better off to par-check and unrar the files manually when using Grabit.
    Yeah, I'd recommend sabnzbdplus or alt.binz over grabit.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    I would highly recommend Niouzefire. It downloads and automatically extracts and repairs the files.

http://www.ideosi.fr/niouzefire_eng.php

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Grab the latest Unzbin version, it is working without having such errors.