Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any private trackers with large swarms?

For a long time I have been curious about the famous download speeds possible with private BT trackers. This morning I had my chance. Demonoid was doing site maintenance and it seems they had their login disabled. I was able to browse and download for an hour or two. What I found shocked me. Nearly all the swarms were tiny. Usually less than 20 and often less than 10 seeds+peers. I thought that, unless the folks from private trackers had unusually high upload speeds, that that might mean slow download speeds. I was right. Most torrents downloaded at less than 100KB/s. The fastest torrent I could find would vary between 200KB/s and 400KB/s. On TPB, unless a torrent is really rare and/or old I generally expect and get downloads faster than 1 MB/s and often can manage 2-3 MB/s for a single torrent.

In addition it seemed that most of the high-def movies were 4 gigs or smaller. I found that 8 gig 1080p files were much more difficult to find than on TPB. I assume that just means that demonoid culture prefers more highly compressed files.

Of course Demonoid is an old tracker and it doesn't enforce ratios. So maybe a lot of people have left for greener pastures making the site a bit like an abandoned ghost town with tumbleweed blowing down the main street. But I am concerned that none of the private trackers are much better in terms of average swarm size. This seems like it could be a major problem with private trackers, and I haven't heard it discussed before.

Are there any private trackers where the average swarm size is at least in the hundreds and where popular torrents have swarms that make it into the thousands? I think the BT protocol really relies on a certain minimum swarm size to work effectively.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    karachidude's Avatar Excelsior BT Rep: +5
    TL and scc have the biggest swarms and the best speeds

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    any private trackers with large swarms?
    Many TorrentLeech, IPT, BitSoup, Zamunda, Filelist.ro, Rutracker...

Quote Originally Posted by karachidude View Post
    TL and scc
    SCC's swarms aren't even close to those of the names I mentioned
    Last edited by anon; 06-21-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Are we taking bees or wasps because I've found that while bees are more persistent wasps are more likely to do the greater damage.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    It all depends on the upload speed of the people in the swarm. I've gotten plenty of speed out of swarms with 2-10 people in them, maxing out my downstream easily. Demonoid isn't the best example of private tracker speeds, I wouldn't even call them private.... For general stuff, as mentioned, check out torrentleech. Easy to get into and big swarms with lots of speed for all.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Torrent leech is recommended

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tl & IPT have the fastest speeds in my opinion, I like SCC but its hard to build a ratio also it really depends on the speed of the seed boxes and how many users are downloading/uploading from seed boxes. Demonoid is not really the best example of a private site they are classed as "semi private" and there ratio system is a joke.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Aristocles's Avatar Film Buff
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Are we taking bees or wasps because I've found that while bees are more persistent wasps are more likely to do the greater damage.
    Not certain about quantity but for sheer acreage 'covered', I have to go with locusts.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Aristocles!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Thanks for all the replies. Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to private trackers though. I don't understand most of the acronyms. Is there a list somewhere that gives the full names for each acronym? I get that TorrentLeech = TL, but as for the rest: TI, IPT, SCC. No clue.

I find the idea that TorrentLeech is easy to get into kind of funny. As far as I can tell all of the closed private trackers seem to be nearly impossible to get into. Even Demonoid seems nearly impossible if I don't actually buy an invite. You have to know someone, and I don't. I was asking just out of a more theoretical curiosity than a practical one. I don't expect to ever have a chance to get into any of these. I suppose I could try to pay someone for an invite, but from what I have seen that is considered uber-bad in the community. If I ever got caught I'd get permabanned. I guess I'll just have to stick with TPB. The whole closed tracker thing seems kind of wasteful to me though. I have a 35/35 mbit FIOS connection. I could really be contributing a lot of upload bandwidth to the private tracker swarms, but I can't get in because of the closed communities.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gojirasan View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to private trackers though. I don't understand most of the acronyms. Is there a list somewhere that gives the full names for each acronym? I get that TorrentLeech = TL, but as for the rest: TI, IPT, SCC. No clue.

I find the idea that TorrentLeech is easy to get into kind of funny. As far as I can tell all of the closed private trackers seem to be nearly impossible to get into. Even Demonoid seems nearly impossible if I don't actually buy an invite. You have to know someone, and I don't. I was asking just out of a more theoretical curiosity than a practical one. I don't expect to ever have a chance to get into any of these. I suppose I could try to pay someone for an invite, but from what I have seen that is considered uber-bad in the community. If I ever got caught I'd get permabanned. I guess I'll just have to stick with TPB. The whole closed tracker thing seems kind of wasteful to me though. I have a 35/35 mbit FIOS connection. I could really be contributing a lot of upload bandwidth to the private tracker swarms, but I can't get in because of the closed communities.
    I ALWAYS have IPT (IPTorrents) invites laying around. once you get the 15 posts required (I think it's 15) for PM privileges PM you and I could give you one.

IPT usually has swarm sizes similar to TorrentLeech from what I have seen, but the swarm diminishes faster. TI I can't recall what it means right now... and SCC has strict rules about no actually saying the name of the tacker, and I try to respect all tracker rules so you'll have to get someone else to post.
    Last edited by PancakeWaffles; 06-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    My sig, back to being better than anon-sbi's.

O and if anyone has FTN invite and just don't know what to do with it give it to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast